2 of 2x24W vs. 4x24W Current USA saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawel

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI guys,

Just wondering. I was thinking of upgrading my lighting system which is only 2x24W, but I checked the price for one lighting system of 4x24W is like about $150, while buying 2 lighting system of the same one 2x24W each only cost about $50. Does it make any difference if I decide to just get another system of the same one that I have right now? I know the one with 4x24W has individual controls for 2 different lights, I think that's the main difference that I saw.

What do you guys think? Would it be okay? Cause it's the same total watts IMO

Thanks in advance

I just got a current USA dual satellite 2 x 40w (dual daylight, dual actinic and moonlight) for $89 from Fish.com It's for my 10 gallon. It's on the way to my house...2/03/09 I think for delivery. Watts doesn't really matter in reef tanks. Intensity, spectrum, PAR, and the like do.
You can get a Viper 150w Matel Halide for like $150 (made by Current USA) That would probably be good for your tank. It's a 14k bulb that comes with it.

$150 is a little steep, that's why I'm aiming towards the $100, but I don't want a PC :'( - dilemma!!!

Frankie, gimme money first!!!! :) I'm a poor employee and grad student at the same time :'( that's why I asked this question if I can just do 2 systems of 2x24W :'( it's wayyy cheaper, now the question is if that's okay or not to do so

LOL.....You can do 2X24. I am getting a single nova extreme for my 10gllon and it's only a 40watt. your only going to get 48 watts for the 2 which isn't much but... But if your look for cheap I don't think your going to find anything under $100 for T-5's or MH. I would go with what nano was suggesting that would be your best bet unless you find a good deal on Craigslist..... :)

It won't hurt anything...you just won't get really rapid growth from some of the coral...just look at lighting requirements and place them as good as possible. I have a 65w and a 24 w pc fixture (89w total) on my 20 gal. reef. Everything does well with that, but no rapid growth on anything but my Xenia (I attribute that to my great water condition and flow more than anything. I want a MH on that tank, just can't afford it yet. But again, It's been like that on my tank for 2 years, and everything is doing fine. Just keep lower light corals if you can

:) guys, I think you misunderstood. What I meant was, currently I have 2x24W on my system, so instead of upgrading to 4x24W, I would like to just get another 2x24W so I have 2 same lighting systems.

Cost of 4x24W - Current USA T5 HO is about $150
Cost of 2x24W - Current USA T5 HO is about $50, so buying 2 of these will only cost me $100, instead of spending $150 on the same watts just that I don't have individual control over the lights.

I hope that clarifies it :)

Yeah craigslist gave me my skimmer, Frankie, but no luck on lights :'(

Oh okie dokie... thanks, that was my turn to misunderstood... yeah actually I was in a dilemma whether to change to 2x65W CF or stay with the 4x24W T5HO and that's when I decide to just add another system. What would you do if you were me? Yeah I was looking for MH but boy they are expensive and the bulbs... ouchie!

thanks for the answers, Jeff and Frankie, I appreciate it!

either way is ok. I mean...I know how it is...when you want something you really want it now, lol. But you could either do the 2 x 65 pc or 4 x 24 ho, or just save that money until a few weeks, and go for a MH. I wish I would have just waited and spent the money that went toward PC on my 65 and saved for MH, but that was before I really new what they were all about. You live and learn, lol

No kidding! I learn about this all the time, everytime you find something new and this hobby is just like a drug to me, keep adding more and more :). I guess in the meantime I just get another 2x24, cause then when I have money I can use the extra $50 that I have from not getting the new system 4x24 :), yiippee!!!

Ordering now from marineandreef.com, lucky their shipping is pretty reasonable, cheaper than the tax in CA :)

Back
Top Bottom