??? 2 overflows 2 sumps 2 pumps ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaribePiranha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so looks like im drilling into sumps to connect them.

heres my list
175 gallon bow front 2 overflows.

Add if you think i'm missing something .

- 1.5 inch hole saw bit for drilling sumps (any recommendation)

- four 1.5 inch bulkheads to conjoin sumps

- two 1.5 inch pvc sump conjoining pipes

- two 1 inch PVC pipes for independent drain lines from overflow to each sump (note that same exact length of plumbing from overflow to sump will be used )

- 2 independent Drain PVC ball valves (for cleaning sump, Emergency, water changes, mostly for water flow rate for each sump if one drain pulls more or sump returns more this way i can level water in sumps accurately over time if any error, Ect.)

- 2 cut off floats in both sumps for each pump to shutoff if a potential flood (in case emergency)

- ?? very important question because i like my all my Piranha tanks to have over filtration and high tank turn over rate because of how much waste they produce from chomping normal carnivorous fish pellets to frozen meats and fish.. also just picture a shoal of 10 inch monsters with razor sharp teeth, one after another viciously slaughtering fresh flesh, having blood clouds and meat particles spread in water especially when temp is on 86-89 degrees , aggression is increased metabolism is higher in return making them hungrier quicker. also the occasional not feeding for one or two weeks....... then live prey is introduced to the water . ..... .... so back to the setup, can i run the 2 1000 gph pumps in each sump with independent returns and ball valves for flow rate and maintain as accurate & even water levels in sump over time ? will it really be a huge issue if i run both pumps with all of the above installed for safety ? I know it is complicated but id like to use both sumps connected and 2 pumps....

Now if you say i really can absolutely NO WAY run 2 pumps with everything above installed... ..

will one pump in only one sump while both sumps are connected work with 2 return lines ? or will that affect water level in one sump more then the other...

i know it is a headache and everyone says get one sump and whatever...

this is what i have to work with , have to get it done.. can use all help i can get.

any info will help on my design ... im planning on doing this all in the morning.

thank you

here are some pics of designs i have .. tell me which one works best:thanks:

first one being what i really want my setup to look like.

red diamonds in lines are valves.

211qbdw.png

wondering if setup below would work? would flow from return crash into each other ?

2u3ulw3.png

setup below is with one pump powering both return lines ( feel like one sump with pump would drain more ..correct if i am wrong..)
2q3ytea.png

I have 2 tanks run off 1 sump but it could give idea
you just need to have the 2 pumps running in sink so you get no overflow issues if 1 cuts out the other does also both plug in to 1 outlet so if one cuts out the other does too hard to explain
my drawing is for the birds but it works everything is basically run in parallel in a total circle you can say
you could probably run the sumps the same way
img_2953397_0_9953fea6a4153fcb94ab56367b113c11.png

The third set-up would work fine as long as the lines connecting the two sump tanks together has a flow rate that exceeds that of the drain into the sump and the return pump.
That way no matter what happens the water level between the two sump tanks will always reach equilibrium faster than any other changes.

You are draining from an overflow or drilled in the back, correct?
If it is plumbed through the bottom of the tank, I wouldn't trust a sump set-up.

Back
Top Bottom