200W Visi- Stealth Heater not turning off when not submerged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought these heaters where supposed to automatically turn off when out of the water. I assumed this (becuase it was part of the information on petsmarts description) and attempted this and it almost burned up.

Most heaters are notorious for this type of failure. I always unplug mine if I think it could even come close to leaving the water regardless. HTH

I've noticed this with my 25 and 50 watt Visitherm Stealth heaters too. I've removed 50% of the tank water and I'm wiping the inside glass when I touch the heater (the part that is above water) and it is very hot. I thought it would not turn on when it sensed it was above water. It does still turn on, but it can't break like a glass one would. I have not unplugged mine for a water change and it still works fine. I just will be careful not to touch it dry anymore.

The Stealth in the 29 is out of the water at every water water, have been doing that for about 2 1/2 years now and it still works like the day I got it.

Back
Top Bottom