220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys,
Wanting to add plant's possibly. I have no Idea about plant's except for add water.

Need plants for Cichlid's, I think I'm limited on what we can have in there.
Need suggestions on types, equipment, food etc.

I found this other background. I really like this one, it has ledges and places to hide.Largest selection of aquarium backgrounds on the web 3d | Designs By Nature . Does any one know where I can get it cheaper. It's $ 411.00 delivered.

Thanks So much
Michael

Any ideas....

Ummm... I tried plants in my 150g mbuna tank... they lasted a few hours. they were there when I went to bed... gone when I woke up. Tried again, same thing. I've heard that there are some plants that they either dont like, or are too tough.. Anubias is about the only one I've heard would definitely hold up.

I say this in regards to mine. One of the admins (I believe it was zagz, but it may have been another one) was telling me that they had mbuna in a planted tank and they never touched them. It may be based on each fishes personality, and how they were raised. I wouldn't spend a fortune on them though, at least until you know whether they'll eat them or not.

As far as those backgrounds, I have a very hard time figuring out why anybody would pay $400+ (or even $100) for a background. You can make one for next to nothing, or you can do what I did and simply stack rocks up against the back wall all the way to the top.

Ummm... I tried plants in my 150g mbuna tank... they lasted a few hours. they were there when I went to bed... gone when I woke up. Tried again, same thing. I've heard that there are some plants that they either dont like, or are too tough.. Anubias is about the only one I've heard would definitely hold up.

I say this in regards to mine. One of the admins (I believe it was zagz, but it may have been another one) was telling me that they had mbuna in a planted tank and they never touched them. It may be based on each fishes personality, and how they were raised. I wouldn't spend a fortune on them though, at least until you know whether they'll eat them or not.

As far as those backgrounds, I have a very hard time figuring out why anybody would pay $400+ (or even $100) for a background. You can make one for next to nothing, or you can do what I did and simply stack rocks up against the back wall all the way to the top.

Good deal I know Zags I'll send him a PM.

As far as a background. I'm wanting a show tank that just look's killer. 400 bucks is a rip I agree. But sure would look awesome.
I have seen video's on how to make them. I'm not sure I could get the depth and color.

I got on ebay tonight and got 2 hagen Fluval FX5's
Good buy for 220 a piece with media.
So at least I got the filtration out of the way.

Thanks Tim for the lead.:D:D

Attachments

• a218.jpg
    a218.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 229
Good deal I know Zags I'll send him a PM.

As far as a background. I'm wanting a show tank that just look's killer. 400 bucks is a rip I agree. But sure would look awesome.
I have seen video's on how to make them. I'm not sure I could get the depth and color.

If it wasn't zagz, it was An t-iasg... I cant remember, it was a while back.

I got on ebay tonight and got 2 hagen Fluval FX5's
Good buy for 220 a piece with media.
So at least I got the filtration out of the way.

Thanks Tim for the lead.:D:D

You're welcome. Ordered mine for the 55 on Thursday and it gets here Tuesday.

Setup is really easy, watch the DVD a few times. It's reeeally easy. No priming either, just put the amount of water in it tells you, put the lid on, connect and plug in. One big tip I have for you is to cover the top of the tank above the outlet when you first turn it on. When it first turns on it expells air from it's tubes a few times before it stays running (and it expells any gases every 24 hours, too), if you don't have the tank covered it could splash water on your floor if there's lots of air. :)

hdultra said:
Well it's here, they had to put it into the garage because of all the Ice outside. There going to come back next week to set it in place.

Here is the photo I shot of it.:D:D

It's a Marineland 220.

Beautiful! I'm jealous! Lol! Can't wait to see how it is going to look like.

This tank looks like it's gonna come out really cool! Following :popcorn:

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Sorry if this sounds stupid I figure more filtration is a good thing but why 2 FX5's isnt each one rated for up to a 400 gallon tank? Wouldnt just one be more then enough? Im setting up a 150 Gallon and need a filter system.

Sorry if this sounds stupid I figure more filtration is a good thing but why 2 FX5's isnt each one rated for up to a 400 gallon tank? Wouldnt just one be more then enough? Im setting up a 150 Gallon and need a filter system.

Yes 1 would be sufficient for the tank. I'm a filtration freak when it comes to cichlid tanks. Because the tank is 72"L 24"W 30"H I want good waste pick up on both sides of the tank. And clean water flow on both sides. Yes it is overkill.
I know there other things to move water. I though why not get filtration at the same time.

For a 150 you need 1 rated for 300 gallons. Tim turned me onto eBay, wow what a price difference. I saved about 150 Bucks on 1 filter. One of these would work fine for your system. or 2 fluval 405's etc. There are lots of good other models and brands. I'm sure a few people here will give you more suggestions. I'm a Hagen Fan...... and Marineland.....

My 55 has a Fluval 405 and 2 Marineland 280's. Overkill again lol:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

What the manufacturer claims vs reality if often different. I wouldn't use just one filter on any tank bigger than 75g. While one FX5 is certainly sufficient for a 150g tank, I would definitely use 2 for anything bigger than 180, especially because of the length of the tank. Also, what if one fails? You've got a backup already running. Good rule of thumb is to take the manufacturers claim and half it.

Though I'm no expert on giant tanks, I totally agree with using double the fitration manufacturers suggest.

Double filtration also gives you an edge should one of the filters fail.

Just to agree. Filter is rated for 400gal, but that is without any media. With the media it flows at a much slower rate and after it's been running for a little while I'm sure that flow decreases even further. :)

Heaters:

I picked up two of these 300 watt Hagen Fluvals on eBay.
There rated for 100 gallon tanks I hope that they will be effective and not under powered. I like the digital display.

Attachments

• a774.jpg
    a774.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 204
two 300w heaters should be fine in your tank... I would position them close to the intake of the two FX5's though to help distribute the heat evenly throughout the tank.

two 300w heaters should be fine in your tank... I would position them close to the intake of the two FX5's though to help distribute the heat evenly throughout the tank.

I like that.

The intakes for the fluvals I think should be about 3" above the substrate correct.
Or should I stagger the intakes one high and one low?

You're using sand, right? I'd keep them higher than 3"... I have one about 5" from the substrate on one end of the tank, and one about 10" up on the other side... I'd put them about 12-16" from the end of the tank, and at least 6" from the substrate. It's up to you whether you want to stagger them, but I think it makes sense to.

As you know I like the Carib Sea only because of the benefits. With the PH, GH, and KH properties is a plus to me. As we have discussed before in other post, I know what your preference's are. We are still thinking of a few live plants here.
As you said earlier buy few and see what happens with the fish. Weather they are going to eat them or dig them out. There are several choices with this substrate from Carib Sea
The cost for the substrate is going to be around $220.00.

I would like a substrate that will show off the fish. And also support plant life.
I'm concerned if I go with one that is eco complete for plants and the fish tear up or eat the plant's. And then I can't keep plants. I will have the wrong substrate then. Will plants grow in sand ?

Back
Top Bottom