220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hdultra

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's everyone fault here at AA. The urge to have more than a couple tanks.

1. I'm wanting to get a 150 Gallon aquarium.
Well I was talked into a 220 Gallon Tank
I found it at: Home « Malawi Aquatics International.
Marineland Tank with Solid Oak Stand $1300.00

2. I know about the filtration, but what brand do you think will flow and filter the right amount of water. And with the best filtering options.
Getting these: 2 Fluval XF5's

3. Lighting: I want the best possible lighting for freshwater. I really like some of your tanks with the moon lights. but I want the day lights to be bright.

4. Heater I'm Thinking 350 watt something. No Brand Preference.
Adding 2 300 watt heaters thanks.

5. Putting in my larger African Cichlid's.
Some of them are growing pretty fast.

6. Substrate

7. I'm wanting some live plants? But have never had them.
I also know that I'm going to be limited.
Need to know how to plant. And how to take care of them.

I'm just wanting to figure were to buy. Brand suggestions etc.
And if there is anything I missed.

Thanks in Advance for Suggestions.

Last edited:
If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to sell you mine. I'd check craigslist. I got my 150g for $225 with stand, glass tops, heater, and a bunch of other stuff. Got both my Fluvals (305 and 405) for $25 each as well.

If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to sell you mine. I'd check craigslist. I got my 150g for $225 with stand, glass tops, heater, and a bunch of other stuff. Got both my Fluvals (305 and 405) for $25 each as well.

That would be cool if we were close. I have been watching craigslist, just nothing there.

My LFS now only sell's the fish now. There going to all pond's and moving out of the aquarium business. Most of the other ones don't stock aquariums.
What do you think 2 Fluval 405's or a fx5.

Is this going to be a 5' 150g or a 6' 150g? Mine's 5' and I have the 305 and 405. I'd much prefer the fx5. I think in a 6' tank though, that you would probably be better off with 2 filters than 1.

Is this going to be a 5' 150g or a 6' 150g? Mine's 5' and I have the 305 and 405. I'd much prefer the fx5. I think in a 6' tank though, that you would probably be better off with 2 filters than 1.

Yes I agree. I think I'll price out 2 FX5 Fluvals.
Do they have flow control ?

Cool that's one thing out of the way.

Thanks man.

I'd look at more than one heater also. That way if one goes on the blink, there will still be some heat.

Look on ebay too. You never know when a private individual or a closely business near you may list something to suit your needs.

I see 100+ on there all the time, but I'm just too far away to take advantage of a good deal.

mudraker said:
I'd look at more than one heater also. That way if one goes on the blink, there will still be some heat.

Look on ebay too. You never know when a private individual or a closely business near you may list something to suit your needs.

I see 100+ on there all the time, but I'm just too far away to take advantage of a good deal.

Thanks mud I'll check that out. Would that be two 300watt.

If you have enough cash after everything else :) I'd go for two 300s. That way you could continue to heat at full temp. If not, two smaller ones is better than just one big one IMO.

mudraker said:
If you have enough cash after everything else :) I'd go for two 300s. That way you could continue to heat at full temp. If not, two smaller ones is better than just one big one IMO.

Good deal I will add it to the list. thanks mud

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm in the same boat - planning a big tank, but with no resources at hand.

mudraker said:
I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm in the same boat - planning a big tank, but with no resources at hand.

Getting the tank n stand here is the biggest issue. I'll find the money. Lol

Anyone have experience with good lighting?

My 55 has these hood lamps with single florescent bulbs, Just seems to be dull.
I would like some with built in moon lights, and bright day lights built into one.

Are you trying to grow plants or just have bright lights? Bright lights can cause algae if they're on for any length of time and you don't have plants.

Marineland has some LED fixtures out with moonlights. The double bright or reef lights should be pretty bright.

Are you trying to grow plants or just have bright lights? Bright lights can cause algae if they're on for any length of time and you don't have plants.

Marineland has some LED fixtures out with moonlights. The double bright or reef lights should be pretty bright.

Thanks for the reply Jim.

No plants, Just that the hood on my 55 to me is to dim, single tube florescent.

So on the new tank I want just decent light. It would be cool to have the moon lights built in. Built in timers could be nice also.

Well I found a new 220 Gallon Tank instead of the 150 Gallon. A little bigger than I wanted. I found it at Home « Malawi Aquatics International. It's coming with all the heaters solid oak stand. Full hood with bright lights. And there going to deliver it today. Dang and I was only planning. The deal was to hard to refuse.

That's going to probably change some thing's I imagine.

I'll put everything on a build post with cost. And Item list.
With build Photo's. What sucks is I'm doing this with a broken ankle.
Good news is the fish store is going to even put it into place. Suckers lol

Back
Top Bottom