29G BioCube - First Chamber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All,
I moved my biocube for the second time in a little less than a month (originally moved it to get the flooring done in the room it was in, now we're gonna go the flooring in the room its in now....) So this time I wanted to get that heater out of the bottom of the tank. I took out the grate in the first chamber, after a lot of messing around. After trying to just tug it out, I decided to use a hacksaw blade, and that was going well. I finally was able to get my fingers through the middle and yank it out. Long story short, I got the heater in there. I guess I shouldn't have been surprized at the nice layer of sand at the bottom of the chamber.
So I guess to the point :) I haven't liked this tank as much as my 38G (w/ 10G sump) because I don't find as many extra critters in it. I think part of it is not having a sump on it. I was looking at the first chamber today, noticing that it does get some light from the tank through the intake grates. I wondered if any macro algae would be able to survive in that lower light conditions. Any ideas?

While I was looking in there I noticed something in the sand, its a white featherduster, the crown is in between a quarter and half dollar, I know, not the most exciting find, but it made me smile :D

It probably wouldn't and if it did your macro might go sexual.. What is your 38/with 10 sump? I have close to the same in the making and I want to know how you did it.

That tank is fairly simply. 50lbs or so of live rock in the DT and sand of course. Koralia Power Head and eshoppe Hang On overflow on one side of the tank, return on the other. 10G has a single piece of plexi-glass with just enough room for the return pump (about 3" high) LR rubble on teh bottom, and macro algae floating... Oh I have the heater in the rubble area. Also have the airlift pump from my overflow draining into the sump.

I had a small skimmer in the sump, but ended up taking it out. I'm getting good parameters on everything without it, not sure if the macro algae or Xenia growth is sucking up all my extra nutrients. Reef, Nova Extreme T5 HO 4 x 39W 2 act. 2 10K bulbs

That's like mine but w/o moons. Great! I don't have to spend another hundred or so dollars. Howabout an rodi filter?

Yeah, I do the RODI... pain in the, but its worth it.

I forget the rate, but my well pressure needs to be upped I think, It takes quite a while to get 5G of good water. I waste about 2X, but try to use it for watering plants and such.

Good Luck With Everything, Gotta Love This Hobby, except for it being so addictive...I have 3 tanks now....

Back
Top Bottom