2nd Filter Option

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cronos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have penguin 170 running on a 29 gallon tank. The water seems a bit cloudy and I was thinking of adding a 2nd filter. I have 8 guppies, 4 platies, and 7 ghost shrimp in the tank. Any thoughts or suggestions on what type/brand of filter to get?

HOT Magnums definitely have a great reputation and you will find many people who swear by them. I am sure I will get one sooner or later! You could just get another Penguin 170, but that is assuming the cloudiness is not from bacterial bloom or from the tank not being cycled.

I have a HOT Magnum running on my 29 gallon and it does work great. After I do a gravel vac and plant pruning, sometimes there is a lot of debris floating in the tank. I throw the micron filter in and within an hour my water is crystal clear again.

I have a Filistar XP3 on my 30 gal, and the water is crystal clear! I love it, its easy to clean and since its a canister it does not take up room on the tank or in the tank. I know its kind of a large filter but hey why not it does the job, real good. :lol:

lol a hot magnum/pro or an xp3 is overkill on a 30g an xp1 would do or an aquaclear 200

but i think the penguin 170 is fine maybe just try different media. what do you run in it now? how often is it changed?

Over kill? Man I have a hot magnum on a 20 gal tank, planted with a heavy bio load. The fish love it, the plants grow great, and its simple to clean. :lol: gotta love it

my filters are: 2x55g - xp3s, 30g - a-610(200), 10g - a-mini
the 55s are more planted than not and the 10 you cant see through
you can see my bio load in my sig :mrgreen:

i like the penguins, but i like how much easier it is to use whatever media i like with the aquaclears.

Back
Top Bottom