33 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I am in the process of setting up a 33 gallon SW tank. I would like for this tank to have some polyps, zoos and maby an anemone. Would 110 watts of power compacts be enough? (Im looking at a 36" Strip light that houses 2 55 watt bulbs)

-Thanks

If your tank length will support a 36" light, go with a 2x96w PC set up. Your tank will be rock'in with that. You'll have quite a range of choices for coral types including some species of SPS. Be wary of anemone pruchases though. They are not reef animals and if this tank is to be for the most part a coral tank, you may wish to reconsider it's addition.

In general the tank should be 1 year + before any such animal is added so in that time aquire the corals you wish. I am fairly sure when the tank is ready for the possible addition of an anemone, you will have second thoughts.

Cheers
Steve

I'm with steve, I would reconsider getting an anemone if I were you. They are a ton of trouble sometimes.

The relationship between my gold stripe maroon clown and RBTA is a wonderful addition to my tank. I did wait over a year before adding them, though.

Well I just got back From Big Als and ended up buying the 2x96 PC set up. Its looks great :D

Ohh and one more quick question, are hermits and snails reef safe?

-Thanks

Fish_fanatic said:
Ohh and one more quick question, are hermits and snails reef safe?
Anything with claws should be considered an opportunistic feeder. What is generally sold in the stores is considered reef safe but there's no way of ensuring they will remain so. Certain species are less likely than others (zebra, scarlets et al) but should still be treated with a certain level of caution.

Most of the snails sold in the hobby are just fine. There a a few species sold for their shell shapes that make an interesting FO addition but should not be trusted in a reef tank. Just stick with the well known/recognized species and you'll do just fine. Be sure to get as wide variety of species as possible for best results.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom