48 inch T5 light blinding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshstraps

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

I have a 55gal freshwater with some medium light plants. I decided to try out a T5 because my led setup only had 16 bulbs and I don't think it was enough for plant growth in that little aquarium. Its a 4 foot fishneedit light with 4 6700 bulbs and it is way too bright for the room.

Will a T8 bulb hood (aqueous strip) provide enough light for these plants to thrive? Are there bulbs I can get fir the T5HO that will provide the spectrum necessary, but diffuse the brightness in the room?

Thanks!
Josh

Quick follow-up: I have a 15gal with a screw-in bulb...I think 150w, and the plants grow great in there. It about 4 inches less shallow than the 55gal, but would hope two 18" bulbs would suffice for plants in the 55gal

I guess what we are going for is a softer light. Maybe switching to three of these and a 10000k whit would be better?

http://m.petco.com/product/119118/Aqua-Medic-Aqualine-T5-Plant-Grow-Aquarium-Fluorescent-Bulb.aspx

Hopefully all of this provides enough to piece the solution together.

So you and I have a similar setup. I've also got a 55gal with a 4 light t5 system. What I've done, until I start running CO2 is to disconnect two of the bulbs and am running 1 6700K bulb and one floral bulb.

Along with ferts it's actually growing my plants rather well over the last couple of weeks.

So you could just drop a couple of the lights and should be fine.

How about putting a blue lamp or two in there? It will tone down the brightness and also make everything look awesome.

So you and I have a similar setup. I've also got a 55gal with a 4 light t5 system. What I've done, until I start running CO2 is to disconnect two of the bulbs and am running 1 6700K bulb and one floral bulb.

Along with ferts it's actually growing my plants rather well over the last couple of weeks.

So you could just drop a couple of the lights and should be fine.

Have you had any problems with fish keeling over? I put this lamp on yesterday and this afternoon one I my mollies sunk. He didn't seem too happy with the light.

I'm more of a traditional aquarium owner. Open box, cycle tank, put in plants and fish. I have an xp4 filstar filter on this one and a better heater, but lighting mods are new to me. Is the co2 to replace what the light pulls out of the water?

I thinking of just selling it and going with a T8 shop light with a daylight and plant bulb. I've seen several threads that have gotten great results.

How about putting a blue lamp or two in there? It will tone down the brightness and also make everything look awesome.

I like that idea, but this is more for my one and three year old. My tank is on an antique cabinet that is about 3 feet off the ground and is in our main play area. They can't be in there without squinting :)

Is the co2 to replace what the light pulls out of the water?

No. plants need CO2 for cell growth.

Using the 2.5 WPG rule as a basis, you don't need to run CO2 unless the plants demand it. Typically, the more light at the right spectrum you have going into the tank, the more CO2 and ferts (macro and micro) you need to dose to keep your plants healthy and stave off algae. The key is to find the right balance that works for your tank when it comes to lighting.

Correspondingly, the less light, the less necessary it is to dose CO2. Remember that some is already dissolved at the tap, as well as from fish respiration and gas/atmosphere exchange at the surface.

Thank you. That helps a lot. I assume this is what they mean by high-tech

Back
Top Bottom