50/50 Bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryehard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of upgrading from a single 20 watt NO fixture to a 65 watt PC fixture and I've found a lot of deals on ebay. The only problem is that it seems like most of them come with a 50/50 bulb. I'm still not 100% on all the lighting terminology but it seemed to me from the lighting sticky that this would not be a good bulb for plant growth. Will I need to buy a new bulb for my fixture or will the 50/50 do for the time being?

ask the seller if they can include a 6500K CF bulb instead. (some of the e-bay sellers I have contacted will do this)

a 50/50 over a planted tank means you only get 50% of the usable spectrum, or about 32watts. The blue spectrum just isnt' that useful.

www.hellolights.com sells the correct coralife FW 65w with a 6500K bulb for about $53.

Thats not too bad. Yeah the cheaper ones on ebay won't include any other type of bulb with it unless I pay extra. And if it comes down to buying an extra 20 dollar bulb then I might as well go with a fixture thats a little more money (and probably more reliable). Do you think thats the cheapest option I have for something around that output, or does anyone know of any high output T5 fixtures I could get for cheaper?

Have you read the sticky about the heapum lights yet? (little joke in there)

Odyessy makes a T5-HO fixture as well..

I can't seem to find the seller that would swap out bulbs for me on E-bay for free.. I'd have to do a mad hunt again.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom