55 gal Filter options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have an old whisper 5 HOB and also a whisper 3 (i think thats what they are) and a power head hooked up to an undergravel screen. The whispers are getting pretty crappy and aren't flowing too hot.

both whispers are dual filter (dual bay... dual whatever) one is the small sized cartridge, and one is the large. at any rate they aint working too good at this point :lol:

whats the best filtration option i can get without spending a boatload of money?

I don't want to be buying new cartridges and carbon every two weeks, and i'd like it to be pretty reliable (these whispers are getting to be quite a pain...) I'd also like to have plenty of filtration. It's a 55 gallon tank, i'd like to buy a filter thats good for up to 80 gallons or so... i'm sure you guys get what i mean.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I strongly recommend a cannister filter for powerful, quiet, and dependable filtration that won't make you a slave to a maintenance schedule. For the level of filtration you want, expect to pay 75 - 100 dollars. Definitely order online - you'll save big bucks.
I have an Eheim Pro II 2026 on my 58 gal. I've never seen anything bad written about Eheim Ecco, and Rena Filstar Xp2 filters. Magnum 350 and Fluval 304 are options too.

You should google these models and compare prices on the web.

I would go with an Emperor 400. Very fine filter and would provide over 7 times water turnover. Very easy to work with and you don't have to use the carbon pads if you don't want to.

Personally I have an Emperor 280 and a Magnum 350. I use the Magnum purely for mechanical filtration by keeping the water polishing cartridge in at all times. Crystal clear water is the result. But a Magnum 350 can be a bit of a pain to work with at times (like most all canister filters) so to minimize the hassle factor you'll be fine with an Emperor 400.

Good luck! :)

thanks for the tips!

I've never used a canister filter before... so i have a few questions about em!

How big are these suckers?

What is the filter media and how much does it cost? Do i need to change it often? Can i just clean it?

How are the hoses and such set up? I like the whispers because they pickup the water about 6" above the gravel.

The powerhead is nice because it keeps all the debris in the gravel, that way when i change the water (i use a gravel cleaner everytime) its easy to pick up all the debris.

also (sorry for all these questions) I currently have a 100w heater in the tank, it's working full duty and keeps the water at 76 degrees, no higher.

will a 200w heater be sufficient to keep the water at about 80 degrees? Or am i going to have to step it up even higher?

About the emporer 400, that is a HOB, correct? How loud will this thing be? I also built the cabinet to hold the whispers, so there isn't even an 1/8" of clearance behind them, so size will be an issue with a HOB. I have about 6" width to put a canister on the side of the tank...

Thanks again

I have the fluval 304 on my 55 gal. I change the carbon once a month. I buy 2 boxes at the Giant for $2.22 each. I rinse the foam blocks inside at the same time and they rarely need replaced. The ceramic donuts inside supposedly need replaced every six months and I think they were under ten for a container.
The canister itself is about 15" high and 8" wide. I set mine under my stand and its out of sight. The nice thing about the canister compared to the hob is that you don't have to leave 6" of space between the wall and the tank.

I have a 300 w on my 55 gal. I have it turned nearly all the way down to maintain about 76 degrees so I suppose 200 might be sufficient.

I like the fluval as well. They are a snap to set up and maintain and are very unobtrusive. But, I like to over filter and would suggest you use an HOB as well at some point. As far as heaters, 5 watts per gallon is suggested. I use 250 watts on my 55s. I don't think a 100W heater is effecient at all on a tank that size.

Ooops!
I found this chart on drsfostersmith.com, and consequently bought a 200 W for my 55gal thinking it'd be way efficient!!!
&#*@%!

Ebo Jäger TS Automatic Heaters

Watts Tank Size
50 10 -15 Gallons
75 15 - 20 Gallons
100 20 - 30 Gallons
125 30 - 45 Gallons
150 40 - 60 Gallons
200 60 - 90 Gallons
250 90+ Gallons

That scale looks like its only accurate up until the third or fourth tank size.

I wasn't aware that they made a 250 watt heater since my petsmart doesn't sell any. I agree that would probably be the best choice since my 300 is slightly an overkill.

thanks again!

The 100w isn't doing the job. Its on 100%, and keeps the water at about 75.

The smaller whisper is actually still operating decently, the bigger one is barely moving any water :roll:

I like the canister idea. But since they're a bit bigger than i thought, i may just end up getting that emperor 400, if it fits behind there.

The cabinet is already set up so the measurements are gunna be somewhat limited.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll do some more reasearch (making sure they'll fit in the cabinet) and probably end up purchasing one soon!

Watts Tank Size
50 10 -15 Gallons
75 15 - 20 Gallons
100 20 - 30 Gallons
125 30 - 45 Gallons
150 40 - 60 Gallons
200 60 - 90 Gallons
250 90+ Gallons
That scale looks like its only accurate up until the third or fourth tank size.
I disagree--the larger the tank, the less heat you are losing to the surrounding environment (surface area).
I keep a 200w in my 80 gal and it does a terrific job.
rhetor, it looks like you are on the right track!

I like the Aqua Clear 500's personally for hang on back and Fluval 404 for a canister...You can use one or the other or both.. Great filtration.

IMHO - General Rule of Thumb:

5watts of heater for every gallon. (What I've been told)

A 50 gallon tank would work great with a 250...

You should consider buying two 150's ... it might be a bit of overkill but it will even out the temp throughout the whole tank.. plus it is sorta like insurance... one fails.. the other tries to make up for it.

:)
I went a bit overkill and put 2-100w heaters in mine.. one on each end layed horizontal... It is only a 30 gallon tank.. so 150 would be enough.

---
I did only have only 1-100w heater but that quickly changed when I came home and saw my temp down to 68. Never more than 2 degrees off when I check it now.

I know I sound repetetive always plugging these filters, but personally, I'd go wit an AquaClear 500, would do just as good a job as a canister filter on that tank, and are normally only about 35 bucks. They turn over about 500gallons of water an hour,so, an excellent rate for a 55, and are extremely reliable. Can never go wrong with these filters, they've been around, pretty much unchanged for 20 years, and I've never seen them steer anyone wrong, my top choice for almost ANY tank up to a 75 gallon.

if aquaclears havent changed in that long, then tell me what this aquaclear 610 i have is. i believe it was replaced by the newer model 200.

I have an emperor on my FW tank and I love it. It isn't too loud and moves water quickly. I bought mine at petco and ended paying around $39.99 for the 400(plus free ship), since I was a first time customer I had a coupon. Maybe something to consider if you choose this filter.

Here is where you can read up on the Emperor filters

http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_emperor.asp

You can download the manual and check out the measurements and such. I'm a little confused about your measurement requirements but I do know that you will need to provide a fair amount of space between the tank glass and the wall (I think around 6 inches will work).

As for heaters it really depends. If you live in Alaska and you don't keep your room heated then that 250w heater isn't gonna do jack squat!... lol. The point is the proper heater depends on your tank volume AND room temperature.

I have a 55 gallon tank and I have a 300w heater cuz I don't heat my house. When it gets down in the low '60s I just bundle up. So my tank really needs the extra wattage. If I kept my house climate controlled in the '70s then I could get away with a much smaller heater. When in doubt error on the high side. Generally though 250w for 55 gallon will be more than enough.

Good luck! :)

Oh.. and here is a great site to by this stuff from. The Emperor and the Aquaclear are available at great prices.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?pcid1=2885;category_id=1721

Provided it fits in there, i think i'll be going with the emperor 400. I like the biowheel idea, and it seems to be a highly recomended filter!

The aquaclear looks like it'll be too big to fit in there.

I have only about 5-6" behind the aquarium glass, the whispers just make it in there (i built the cabinet around them).

Thanks for the manual. it didn't have measurements of the filter case, but i'll just check that out next time i stop by the pet store.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals

Back
Top Bottom