55 gal setup ????'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SAAVE853

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I'm new to AA but not new to SW just want a to hear you alls opinions and hopefully learn a few new things along the way.

I'm setting up my 55 gal all over again (starting from scratch) and i am looking to get some opinions and constructive criticism, its my first post on here so sorry if I'm not up to date with all the abbreviations.

SPECS: 55 gal / L48" * W12.5" * H21" / Bottom 2" - 3" of sand mixed with crushed coral / 30 lbs live rock & 30 lbs dry rock / Overflow box with with wet dry filter 500 pump

The live rock will be here early next week and i plan to run a fish less cycle with them once they arrive.

Lights - Right away I'm gonna do FOWLR but i want to do coral once the tank matures. I don't wanna use MH lights due to the high cost so i'm looking into VHO / PC / T5HO. I'm looking into putting in 4 bulbs, what do u all recommend?

More questions will be coming as they arise, thank you all for the help!

don't mix sand and crushed coral. use the sand alone. slightly larger than sugar sized.
go right to T5ho or halides (which aren't much different in price to run, depending on what you plan to keep).
heat is the only issue with halides.

IMO ditch the 55. It may be personal prefence but for a really nice looking reef, you need some depth in your tank and 12" is taken up really quickly by all the rock. all the height makes it hard to light as well. If you want the same size, the standard AGA 50g has really nice dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom