55 gallon glass bracket broke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank it’s old I re-caulked it but left the middle glass divider/ bracket alone then I think from the humidity/heater next to it caused one side to break off. My question is do I need it does it provide stability or hold the tank together or is just for looks, hold accessories orIMG_0960.jpg

You should re caulk it in place IMO. You should be able to easily notice the bow in front and back glass without it.
It is called a 'Euro brace' and is probably cheaper then a new top band.

My center brace broke off my 90 I crazy glued a piece of plexiglass on the top and bottom of the busted brace been holding up over a year , that brace serves a purpose to keep the glass from bowing , like coralbandit said it's cheaper than buying a new top rim

Last edited:
Thanks for the input it’s not flush not there’s a small gap, should I fill with silocone or should I place a small piece of plexiglass as a shim? Because it broke and already shows a gap does that mean I lost it’s effectiveness in holding it together? I don’t think silicone would hold back all the water pressure if it was going to keep browning outwards or is this unlikely with the sides/corners heavily re-caulked? Thanks for helping a newb

I would drain the tank till the brace fits snug and caulk it.Wait at least a day or two for it to cure before re filling.
As for silicone not holding , what do think is holding the aquarium together ??

I would drain the tank till the brace fits snug and caulk it.Wait at least a day or two for it to cure before re filling.
As for silicone not holding , what do think is holding the aquarium together ??

Thanks what I meant I was worried how long the silicone would hold together at the corners without the brace if this was a slow issue or something I had to fix immediately

I would get to it ASAP.
It is more likely the glass will break from deflection and stress then the caulk fail IMO.

Back
Top Bottom