55 gallon heater question (advice needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which heater(s) should I buy??

• Option 1: Stealth heater 200-Watt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2: Visi-Therm 300-Watt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into replacing the heaters on my 55 gallon. I currently have about the cheapest hang-on-the-back heaters available to man and they seem to be acting up a bit and on one of my other tanks I had an issue w/ the same kind boiling fish and then not heating and all kinds of stuff. I replaced the heater on the other tank yesterday, but I'm going to order the other one online since they're not as problematic and I can wait for them to ship. I plan on still having 2 heaters in my tank... one on each side so that the tank is not heated unevenly, and I'm looking at these:

Option 1: 2 of these: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=30057;category_id=2283 I know it said up to 50 gal on the website, but I have the box here from the heater I bought yesterday and the box says that model is up to 55 gallons (which is what I have) and they also have the lifetime warranty and was highly recommended from the store

Option 2: 2 of these: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22425;category_id=3055 It has more watts in case I ever upgrade my tank to a bigger one and they shouldn't have to work as hard since they're for bigger tanks. However they are glass and I don't know if they're any better.

They're both made by Marineland, but one is apparently "deluxe" and the other isn't. What are your opinions on these/which would you guys buy for your tanks?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

I would definately go with the Stealth, much better than the glass ones. You could have two 150 Watt Stealths. With heaters, the general rule of thumb is 5 Watts per gal. So you'll need 275 Watts.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering 2 of the 300-watt one's yesterday. Prolly get em next week :)

Back
Top Bottom