55 gallon tank on dresser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphlauren

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just recently set up a 55 gallon tank on an old dresser i had. it is a solid built dresser very sturdy/stable, thick wood. it has legs on it, that make it stand 4-5 inches off the ground. i understand that the total weight of the tank with h20 and gravel is close to 600lbs. so after setting it up i realized that this dresser is strong, but is eventually gonna get stressed. and i am super paranoid about it now because the last thing i need is 55 gallons of water on the floor in my new apartment.

anyone with knowledge on the subject, do you think it will hold strong for a while? without seeing the dresser and relying on my word that its sturdy, do u think it will last, and if so, how long until i should buy a proper stand?

im new to the aquarium game, but my buddies have been into it while, as you can see this is my first post, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! thank you

I had a metal frame 55 gallon on a dresser for about 6 years. The difference being there were no legs. The frame was on the floor. I'd say if the legs were of sturdy design and material such as a hardwood, I wouldn't worry. Is there any support beneath the center of the dresser? If not, you could add bracing to ease your mind.

Back
Top Bottom