65 Gal lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both Aquatraders and Odyessa do not have the best reputation for quality or service. That said, I have the 48inch version of the fixture you are looking at and am pretty happy with. It arrived in perfect condition and has worked great ever since. Others have not been so luck and have horror stories of deally with warrenty issues and customer service at Aquatraders. People either love them or hate them.

Okay then:)

What would be a good system to go with since i want to keep corals and invertebrates. im still leaning towards a 36" 305W Metal Halide Fixture & Ballast System if this will work for what i want to do. I just need a repuable name brand and some sites to purchase them from.

Any help is great appriciated :)
Thanks Guyz

Going with a MH fixture will allow you to keep a greater variety of animals. Both Coralife and Current USA make MH/CF fixtures that are do very well. You will pay 2-3x as much for these over the Oddyessa fixtures.

Ouch lol
Well i wantsomething that is goin to last my investment and work ya know so i gotta do what i gotta do

Well then is there another Method of lighting that will work with Corals and such that isnt Metal halide?????

I just took the risk and bought that very unit, I tested it and work, as far a longevity ask me in a couple of months

Im researching T5 units right now supposedly they are just as good????

Why only 36”. Is it a 70 gal tall with dimensions 36”L x 18”W x 25”H?

If it is that high I would use the MH over T5 personally. If it’s only 20”H then the PC or T5 with low to moderate light corals would be fine.

With a tank that deep you will need MH for penetration if you plan on keeping higher light corals/inverts like Acropora & certain Leather or tree corals & Anemones to name a few. There are still a ton of corals that would do fine with PC or T5 only but you just have to research each one carefully to make sure you have the requirements to meet their needs.

Well its more a cost issue than anything. (which always sucks lol) Some one told me that i should have 4watts per gallon of water is that true???????

Watts per gal is just a general rule but the height of the tank has to be considered as well. Generally 3-5w per gal would allow for most low to moderate light corals while 6-9w per gal is recommended for high light corals. If you don’t have enough light for your photosynthetic corals then they will grow slowly or die.

Thats alot of juice lol I honestly dont know what im going to do now

Well with the 156watt Nova system Will i be good for Fish only and later on worry about corals?

Well im caught between a rock and a hard place lol. Will the nova system work for some easy corals that dont need ALOT of light?????

There are some low light corals that would work like shrooms & Tree Corals . You just have to make sure that they are OK for low light. Hara's site has a list of low light corals that should help you decide :D

Edit: Another good article on low light corals.

Back
Top Bottom