75 - 120g filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been awhile but I didn't forget anything. I just want opinions on what to get for a 75 or 120g tank. I've used HOB and sump before but never canister. Thoughts? Stocking will probably be African cichlids.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 canister filters on a 90 gallon and it works great for me , eheim 2215. I had one on a smaller tank but when I upgraded to 90 gallon I added a second one of what I already had so that's why two instead of one large. It has it's advantages , I have my heaters in line and UV sterilizer so you don't see them and when I clean them I alternate between the two so as not to loose all the good bacteria at once , also able to layer your media to suit your application.

Well if I go canister, I'm definitely getting the fx6 since it would be plenty for a 75g but I don't know that it could handle a 120g? Sumps do top them all but a lot of work to put together!

I don't think brand makes a difference ( like a ford - chevy battle), can't really tell you how I ended up with eheim , they work great and are super quiet but do not have media baskets which is kind of a pain but not impossible , media baskets make it a little easier.

I didn't have an option for a sump either so canister was the only choice for me.

Whatever you choose you should be pleased.

Dude just get a big ole sunsun and save some money for the fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1, I don't own one but based off of reviews from those here who have them I have 2 sitting in an Amazon cart just screaming buy me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, jwh meet tmrc, he's your go to for Africans. Not many left:p

Fx6 though haha yeah my wife cried at the price. How long would a sunsun last in comparison? I'd probably get 2. 1 strictly filter and other pure bio media

+1, I don't own one but based off of reviews from those here who have them I have 2 sitting in an Amazon cart just screaming buy me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm looking at them now haha! They seem good and I've seen them before but I'm looking for longevity. I know the fx6 will last it's money worth. I'm not sure on the sun sun

Oh, jwh meet tmrc, he's your go to for Africans. Not many left:p

I still have a bit of African knowledge, not much and probably no where near as much as him but nice to meet you TMRC

I've had 2 running flawlessly for 2 years. Dead silent. Really a great product considering the price. Just go easy with your big man hands.. treat it like handling an infant. The parts are cheap plastic and easily broken. I've managed to keep mine intact amazingly enough. Clean them monthly and they should run a while for you. Think 2 404's would carry the load of a African tank. You could always use an ac 110 packed with floss for ease of maintenance.

I use an FX6 on a 150g and I find it great in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance; it's just not enough mechanical/biological filtration for my needs.

So that's why I bought a second one. Figured it'd be easier in terms of buying media and replacement parts. Plus, I already know the set up so there's no learning curve.

I was looking at the EHEIM 2180 for a while. I loved the idea of more filtration and an in-line heater, but when I looked at the exploded diagram I was a little intimidated because I don't think the Fluval is nearly as complicated or has near so many pieces. Plus, the price. $170 more than the FX6.

Do you use the precut sponges and all for it or make your own?

I just bought some and cut them to fit. If I did it again I'd just get what they offer minus the biomedio. Use ceramics or seachem matrix

I just bought some and cut them to fit. If I did it again I'd just get what they offer minus the biomedio. Use ceramics or seachem matrix

Hmmmm I may be convinced. How many would I need if I got this 6ft 125g tank? It's only 200$ more so I might do that and just brace my flooring more depending which way the joist run

Back
Top Bottom