90 or 120 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the overflow box would normally hang on like an inside corner of the tank? The 90 gallon i was originally thinking about getting dedicated the entire back left side for this over flow box and i didnt love the look of it especially since most people coming into the house would see that black box first. The 125 gallon im currently thinking about buying doesnt have anything of this nature. The LFS said they can special order it so they drill holes in the bottom of the tank to the sump so its completely out of site however it was mentioned that if the power fails the water will drain. Sound right to you? Thats probably my best option but i dont like the fact that a power outage could ruin my whole setup.

Overflow boxes usually hang on the back yes, I don't like them very much because they can fail and have to be manually restarted. I trust gravity much more. If you were to drill holes in the bottom and just leave them, yes gravity would drain it, which is bad. But if you get those overflows, the big black boxes, it hides the plumbing behind there which only lets the water drain to a certain point. They seem nasty at first, but honestly if you throw a black background there or just let the coraline algae grow over it, you'll never notice it. If I were you, someone makes 125s with dual corner overflows which are nice, or custom make a small overflow box. I can draw something up if you need.

So I know it looks like there is an egg in it, but thats the hole cut out of the back through the glass, for the drain down to the sump. Use your imagination :p

Also sorry if this is confusing. I'm a design student, its second nature to lay things out. The tank view is where it would go, and the floating one in front is just a close up of it. you should be able to get the pieces cut at your local glass place for cheap, and silicone them in yourself.

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 67
Overflow boxes usually hang on the back yes, I don't like them very much because they can fail and have to be manually restarted. I trust gravity much more. If you were to drill holes in the bottom and just leave them, yes gravity would drain it, which is bad. But if you get those overflows, the big black boxes, it hides the plumbing behind there which only lets the water drain to a certain point. They seem nasty at first, but honestly if you throw a black background there or just let the coraline algae grow over it, you'll never notice it. If I were you, someone makes 125s with dual corner overflows which are nice, or custom make a small overflow box. I can draw something up if you need.

Well i appreciate your design but i didnt really understand it :). Keep in mind i can hardly screw in a lightbulb. I guess my only option is the intank black boxes. The one i was originally looking at had 1 corner with 2 tubes so im guessing the dual corner would be one tube each side and smaller black seperations? The single corner double tube one i was looking at literally took up 80% of the left glass area which is facing people when walking into the house. Ill have to find a tank with dual corner flows like that as the stores ive looked at didnt seem to have anything like it. Maybe i can see if they can custom make? The 125 tank didnt have any so im guessing they expect me to hang the overflow.

Tanks: Marineland, Aqueon and Oceanic are really the biggest commercial vendors. There isn't much difference between them besides the placement of the reef ready overflows like i told you about. Its really preference in that, and what you can get for the best price.

Lights: This in itself is a HUGE topic, enough to fill an entire page. I'll skip it for now since you are, but if you change your mind, ask and you shall receive.

Sump/Refugium: I have custom made every sump I have used, Its hella cheaper and you can customize everything. If thats not your bag, then I think Oceanic makes the best Sump. They are glass, and nice and open which allows you to use the space how you want to. Someone else might have a better idea though, I haven't exactly searched real hard lately.

Heater: Something titanium, with a digital controller. Heaters vary so its best to look up reviews for the one you are interested in. Its better to have 2 smaller heaters then one big one, in case one fails. Which it will.

Return Pump: A topic of great debate. I have always used Mag-Drive pumps, but other people seem to have a love/hate relationship. This is another thing you should research individually based on model. QuietOne is another good internal brand, and I have heard littlegiant and panworld make a good external pump.

Powerheads: If you can ever afford them, the Vortech MP pumps are outstanding. They can do so much, its crazy. Tunze is another really strong contender, followed by Koralia. Both of the latter need their own controller if you are interested in that.

Protein Skimmer: I have always used ASM skimmers, but I have heard that they are being passed up by the new technology. Mine have always performed admirably though so I don't know how much more is needed. Octopus and Bubble King are other brands that have come highly recommended to me. Be prepared to drop some moolah here. They are more expensive then you would think.

Live Rock/Base Rock: Your LFS should have some LR for sale, and base rock can be ordered several places online. I like to go 75-100% base rock in my tanks and cure it myself, or use a couple nice show pieces of LR to help seed the bacteria colonies.

RO/DI unit: Huge range here, you want RO/DI, 4-5 stage is best, you can go more if you really want. There are several online vendors that you can build a custom system. Don't pay a premium for a "Reef" RO/DI unit, they are all the same.

Refractometer: Couldn't even tell you what brand mine is. I got it off ebay and I see more and more there all the time. I know Kurt knows a little bit more about the nicer features to look for, maybe he will chime in. Not something you want to skimp on, but not something you need to pay hundreds for either.

Salt Mix
: This is another one that varies. Read some reviews and find a salt you like, then stick with it. Bouncing around salt mixes forever is going to do bad things for you. For a FO tank, don't bother with the "Reef Pro" salts and stuff. Get a quality base salt. Once you go to a reef, you can switch over slowly.

Couple 5g buckets: There are lots of reports of people getting these free from bakeries, walmart and other completely random places. Look around. If not home depot sells them for $5 which is pretty fair. If you know someone around you who is into SW, ask them. You accumulate tons of them after awhile because most people buy salt in them.

Good Online Vendors: First and foremost, check our list of supporting vendors, they are all quality. Aquacave is one of my favorites, partly because they are so close and have great prices.

This is my list of vendors, obviously individual experience may vary :D
Equipment
:
Marinedepot.com
drsfosterandsmith.com
Aquacave.com
Hellolights.com
Fishneedit.com

Livestock:
Liveaquaria.com
Bluezooaquatics.com

Check out our vendor review section before purchasing anything for any particular site.

When you are ready for coral, I have a BIG list for that :D

Hope this helps bud.

Thanks for this by the way. Great starting point for me!

Found a 125 Aqueon with dual overflow in the corners. They also have one that has the overflows on the back wall of the tank. Debating on which to get. LFS said they can special order though so thats good news.

Jimbo, Question on lighting. I am setting up a 120 gal. (48 x 24 x 24) and have decided on all but a lighting system. I am leaning towards an all in one system: MH, HO T5m LED, and the last factor is 150 v. 250 on the MH.
If I go 150 what types of coral are 100% out for this set up (if any)?
Also, if I go 250 will that be too much light for some species?
Any adivce and ramble would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I am fairly new to this hobby, having only half successfully kept a nano 10 gallon reef for the past year.
Are the corals that thrive under 250 more dificult to keep?

Back
Top Bottom