A filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello -

I am still trying to decide what type of canister filter to get. Unfortunately money right now is somewhat an issue (just paid to have a ton of dental work on the kids). I just cant go out and buy something extremely spendy. So I am not sure what brand to get. Everywhere I go seems to plug the specific brand they carry. Also I have a hard time knowing what size of each brand is appropriate for my size tank (75 gal.) I would like something that works well, is eady to clean and is quiet. I have found some for around 100. for a cannister but I also was wonder if maybe I should just purchase two HOB filters for around 50 and then upgrade to a cannister later? Any advice?

Thanks Stacie

there is a new brand, Via Aqua, they have a canister filter that is very affordable, and a "nock off" of a popular very expensive brand, the Eheim Professional.

I would just go for the canister instead of messin with HOB filters and all the cartridges and stuff they burn through.

check out www.bigalsonline.com - they have great prices on filters.

I am going to check at bigalsonling.com for the via aqua. How do I know what size to get for a 75 gal tank? I usually have to have it spelled out for me on the box. :)

Stacie

get the biggest one your budget can handle ... the bigger they are the more time it will take to get "dirty", and if you decide to get a bigger tank, you don't have to get a new filter (within reason of course).

there is a new brand, Via Aqua
I haven't used the Via Aqua canister, but a lot of my friends have and they love it. I have however used many other Via Aqua equipment. Such as heaters, powerheads and protein skimmers and I don't have a single complaint about them yet. Worth looking into.

I have been using Marineland Magnum Can's for years on my turtle tanks. Love them to death. I believe you can pick up the 350 for under $80 bucks if you look hard enough. You won't be disappointed with them.

Back
Top Bottom