A Question About Filters and Their Media...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my other thread in this section, we have been discussing which brand and model of filter I can choose to replace my Aqueons, which don't seem to be doing much of anything to keep my water clean, whether or not this is the single solitary culprit of the unclear water.

But something was brought up in another thread on a different forum regarding the kind of media my Aqueon QuietFlows use and I am a bit confused and concerned, quite frankly...I'm only using the cartridges which hold the floss and carbon that came with my filters right now, and from what I have learned, this is just "mechanical filtration" not "biological filtration"...so, do I need to stop using the cartridges that came with the units because perhaps it's these that are keeping the water from becoming clear?

not sure about your water there could be many different problems. if you dont already have a thread on that i would make one.

bacteria grows on everything. what bio media is just something with a lot more surface area for a greater amount of bacteria to grow on. i have many filters with no bio meadia just sponges.

if you dont have something just for bio media doesnt mean you will have cloudy water.

But essentially what I am trying to discern is whether I should be using something other than the floss/carbon "cartridges" that came with my Aqueon filters because these are considered "mechanical" filtration and not "biological"...

Dedicated biomedia isn't necessary. Beneficial bacteria will live on your filter cartridges. That's why it's crucial not to replace the filter cartridges or wash your cartridges in chlorinated water.

But essentially what I am trying to discern is whether I should be using something other than the floss/carbon "cartridges" that came with my Aqueon filters because these are considered "mechanical" filtration and not "biological"...

Those cartridges are considered mechanical, chemical and biological.

Dedicated biomedia isn't necessary. Beneficial bacteria will live on your filter cartridges. That's why it's crucial not to replace the filter cartridges or wash your cartridges in chlorinated water.

You mean the simple cotton/carbon cartridges that are supplied with many of these HOBs (like my Aqueons)? These will house the beneficial bacteria? What about the blue plastic "biogrid" thing that sits on the waterfall return that's supposed to act like the bio filter -- what's that there for?

Here's what my bigger filter looks like:

http://cse.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/XO06078_50.jpg

Under gravel filters are uncomplicated, and they work well if you keep up with partial water changes.

Wow John, you gotta be the first person I've encountered in this hobby that's suggested an under gravel...

You mean the simple cotton/carbon cartridges that are supplied with many of these HOBs (like my Aqueons)? These will house the beneficial bacteria? What about the blue plastic "biogrid" thing that sits on the waterfall return that's supposed to act like the bio filter -- what's that there for?

Your beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces in the tank, particularly in the filter. Ceramic biomedia has millions of holes and passageways to increase the surface area per volume. It's really nothing more than a chunk of ceramic with a lot of tiny tunnels in it.

Wow John, you gotta be the first person I've encountered in this hobby that's suggested an under gravel...

There's nothing wrong with a UG filter. You just have to keep up on the maintenance.

Under gravel filters were a big deal several decades ago when they were introduced. Not many people recommend them now, but they have always worked well for me. Maybe there is such a thing as getting the aquarium water too clean. After all, a natural body of water has a dirt substrate.:soap:

Under gravel filters were a big deal several decades ago when they were introduced. Not many people recommend them now, but they have always worked well for me. Maybe there is such a thing as getting the aquarium water too clean. After all, a natural body of water has a dirt substrate.:soap:

Hmmm. Never thought of that. seems like most freshwater fish would be from an environment in which there is a dirt/sand substrate. I fear though the filter would suck up all of the dirt everytime the tank bottom was disturbed..... Although, maybe I shouldnt vacuum my gravel bed so thoroughly....

Your beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces in the tank, particularly in the filter. Ceramic biomedia has millions of holes and passageways to increase the surface area per volume. It's really nothing more than a chunk of ceramic with a lot of tiny tunnels in it.

I don't have any kind of "ceramic biomedia" in my filter or cartridges; just the blue plastic strip that sits at the lip of my filter's waterfall return -- did you see the pic I sent in the link?

There's nothing wrong with a UG filter. You just have to keep up on the maintenance.

I was merely going by what I have read and heard regarding underground filters; everyone seems to recommend against using them (from my personal research).

i have the same aqueon HOB filter it works great on my 55 i have learned that thos cartridges were costing me to much money so i decided to run just one cartridge and i plopped a bag of ceramic material in there for more biological filtration ..as for the blue pieces in the filter all that is is more sufrace area for bacteria ..u can pretty much ut whatevr will fit in your filter in it depends on the person if your having problems with water clarity try using more carbon because all carbon really does is clarify water and take out some heavy metals and what not

i have the same aqueon HOB filter it works great on my 55 i have learned that thos cartridges were costing me to much money so i decided to run just one cartridge and i plopped a bag of ceramic material in there for more biological filtration ..as for the blue pieces in the filter all that is is more sufrace area for bacteria ..u can pretty much ut whatevr will fit in your filter in it depends on the person if your having problems with water clarity try using more carbon because all carbon really does is clarify water and take out some heavy metals and what not

Thanks Loach!

Good to hear from another Aqueon owner; although it concerns me that you're having good results from yours and Lady Hobbs tells me they're not bad filters and I am having all these water issues...

Would a sack of Seachem Purigen fit in the QuietFlow 55's canister?

Can you show me some pics of your tanks with the Aqueon in action?

no problem here to help ill have some pics for you tomorrow if thats ok and yah that is a mystery hopefully we can solve..is it just the clarity or the actual quality? and as far as the seachem goes yah it should fit no problem if its self fill ..like you buy the stuff and you fill the bags yourself ..if its pre bagged just take it out and kinda eye ball it you should be able tell if it fits believe it or not the blue trays come in handy for example i had a ph problem so i added coral bones into the filter without a bag and the trays keep it all in place..whatever you end up doin watch the flow of your filter if it starts going over the little blue waterfall tray by the output you know its too stuffed

Thanks bro...

Actually, the water has seemingly cleared a good deal over the last couple of days -- tonight, it looks as though, under the flourescent lighting, the water is exhibiting an oxygen-rich, rather clear look; I think it's much of what everyone has been saying, that I just need to kind of sit on my proverbial thumbs for about another month or so and let the tank just stabilize...

I'll keep you all posted as to the status of the water as time goes by...

With this thread, I was just more curious as to the kind of cartridge media that's in my Aqueons and if they are the right ones for good flow and health...;)

But yeah -- if you could let me see some pics of your Aqueons in action along with your tanks at your convenience, that would be awesome!

I don't have any kind of "ceramic biomedia" in my filter or cartridges; just the blue plastic strip that sits at the lip of my filter's waterfall return -- did you see the pic I sent in the link?

I'm aware. I was just making the point that the material sold as biomedia is really just material that has a lot of surface area per volume. There's nothing special about it that makes the bacteria grow on it.

The blue gridding is meant to act as biomedia, but the fabric on the cartridge will also as does the frame supporting it.
Charcoal is for chemical filtration and will not aid in removing fine particles. The vast majority of us don't use it other than for removing medication from the water, or discolouration from tannins.

Just adding my 2 pence, but I had a QuietFlow 30 come with the kit for my 26gal Bowfront tank, and it seemed to do its job well enough (was eventually replaced with a Fluval 205 canister because my stock level is high and more filtration is always better).

I can say with certainty that the biggest drawback to the Aqueon HOBs were that their floss cartridges are so densely woven that mine would (about every 40 days) become so clogged with gunk that wouldn't rinse out that I would end up throwing away cartridges every month.5. Only way I got around having mini-cycles when this happened is that I would stuff the old, clogged cartridge into that water chamber behind where the new one goes - and just leave the cover off like that for 2-3 days before throwing out the old one.

Back
Top Bottom