A Quick, Fleeting Yet Disturbing Thought I Had About My AquaClear 110...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you said you did it... DURING A WATER CHANGE. When the water level drops below the level of the u-tube, the siphon will break causing you to have to reprime the pump. Just as nearly everyone here has said. So if you unplugged the filter, did a water change in which the water level dropped below the level of the u-tube, and then replugged it in, yes... you will need to reprime the pump.

But that's not what your original question was. You asked if after a power outage, will the pump restart. And that is what my answer pertains to... try it out for yourself. Unplug it, plug it back in. If it works fine, then there's your answer. If it doesn't work fine, then there's your answer. It really doesn't matter what any of us think or believe.

Yes... I have knowledge of this, but it isn't any different than nearly 100% of the people here have already said. You pretty much have three answers:

1. If the water level drops in your tank drops low enough to break the internal siphon of the filter, then yes... you will have to reprime it manually - just as you have during your water change.

2. If the water level in your tank is high enough, and you just unplug the filter and plug it back in, the filter will start pumping water just fine - no priming required.

3. If you unplug the filter and plug it back in and it doesn't start pumping water and you need to reprime it, then the water level in your tank is too low, or the intake tube on the filter unit is not seated properly.

When I "tried" it during a water change, the water was filled up to the top of the tank again...

Try it now is what they are all saying. If you unplug your filter, then do a water change (the water level drops low enough to drain the filter. Then you added water again and plugged in your pump. Water won't go uphill in this case.

HOWEVER, if you try it now WITHOUT changing the water level it SHOULD restart on it's own. I have a bunch of different filters and they all restart this way.

If the water level is at a normal level, the filter won't drain if you unplug it. However, if you drain the water below the filter the filter will drain. (Have you ever heard the gurgling sound when you do a water change?, if so thats the filter draining).

I'm lucky, when I do my water changes the water level doesn't have to go below the suction tube so I leave my filters on. This way anything I kick up out of the gravel gets cleaned up by the filter instead of settling.

Reactions: HN1
When I "tried" it during a water change, the water was filled up to the top of the tank again...

But the water was lowered during the water change to a level below the intake tube, right? That broke the siphon.

As far as I can tell from what you wrote, you've never done exactly what many of us are saying. Not sure why not... takes about 10 seconds to do. If you'd rather argue about it versus trying to understand what we're trying to tell you, I think you'll find yourself eventually arguing to an empty room.

I just did a W/C and i would say that if your water drops lower than 3" you will break the siphon.

I've got a ac110 and as everyone has said ,as long as your tanks water level does not go below the level of the intake strainer than the water level in the ac's box will remain there and it'll reprime itself in a very short time,...no worries,..great little unit.

I've got a ac110 and as everyone has said ,as long as your tanks water level does not go below the level of the intake strainer than the water level in the ac's box will remain there and it'll reprime itself in a very short time,...no worries,..great little unit.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "little" unit...;)

But, alas -- perhaps we've made some clearance here...you're saying so long as the water doesn't drop below the INTAKE STRAINER the water level in the AC's box will remain...but that's REALLY low in my tank because it's not deep from top to bottom, really...for the water level to drop below the intake strainer in my setup, all the water would practically be out of the aquarium...

Also, I don't believe that this sentiment is what "everyone has said" as you mention -- no one really mentioned the intake strainer factor until you if I'm not mistaken; they're all talking about the water level in the actual intake tube dropping below a certain threshold, so that's why I was utterly confused.

Thanks for the reassurances though; this is what I was trying to ascertain by starting the thread -- getting some detailed information from owners with experience dealing with this particular unit, as I am a newbie with it. (y)

I just did a W/C and i would say that if your water drops lower than 3" you will break the siphon.

Hmmm...it seems the other member (whom I replied to just above this post) says if the water level drops below the INTAKE STRAINER, then there will be priming issues -- not just three inches as you say. My intake strainer level is way deeper than three inches from the surface...

Well IF your water level drops that low then you'll have more problems than just getting the unit to reprime itself,..ive had the power go off numerous times and never once has the ac110 failed to restate itself,.....as the folks have said , just turn off the unit during your PWC's and restart it afterwards and you'll be fine.

Its simple science. It really has nothing to do with the water being below the intake strainer. Just like a water change. If you put a hose in the tank, start a siphon, and put the other end of the hose below the other end, the water is going to run out. Reverse that, and the water will run back in to the tank... Right?

Ok, now that we've compared, think about it this way. If the water level in the tank drops below the bottom of the intake in the filter, its going to siphon that water back in to the tank. Simple.

Now, IF you had a power outage while you were out, the tank would be full, right? There would be no problem. The only way that siphon is going to break if the power goes out, is if your tank breaks too, or you're gone so long that the water evaporates to a level lower than that of the intake tube in the filter.

Does this make sense now?

Well IF your water level drops that low then you'll have more problems than just getting the unit to reprime itself,..ive had the power go off numerous times and never once has the ac110 failed to restate itself,.....as the folks have said , just turn off the unit during your PWC's and restart it afterwards and you'll be fine.

Well, right -- I don't forsee the water level EVER dropping below the intake strainer, but I was just replying in response to what was said about the intake strainer.

I'll take your word for it that the unit reprimes itself. :cool:

just experement. i did it with my two 70's .

Before I would experiment, Reef, I wanted some insight from other AC owners who may have had hands-on, definitive experience with this repriming matter. I was thinking of what would happen if we were away, and the power went out, and I was running a non-self-priming filter...

Try it now is what they are all saying. If you unplug your filter, then do a water change (the water level drops low enough to drain the filter. Then you added water again and plugged in your pump. Water won't go uphill in this case.

HOWEVER, if you try it now WITHOUT changing the water level it SHOULD restart on it's own. I have a bunch of different filters and they all restart this way.

If the water level is at a normal level, the filter won't drain if you unplug it. However, if you drain the water below the filter the filter will drain. (Have you ever heard the gurgling sound when you do a water change?, if so thats the filter draining).

I'm lucky, when I do my water changes the water level doesn't have to go below the suction tube so I leave my filters on. This way anything I kick up out of the gravel gets cleaned up by the filter instead of settling.

Understood. Thank you.

I know you said you did it... DURING A WATER CHANGE. When the water level drops below the level of the u-tube, the siphon will break causing you to have to reprime the pump. Just as nearly everyone here has said. So if you unplugged the filter, did a water change in which the water level dropped below the level of the u-tube, and then replugged it in, yes... you will need to reprime the pump.

Yes, I see what you're saying -- it was definitely during a water change that this was "experimented with" and I understand what you're stating here with regard to the draining characteristic differences. The thing is, when I did my water changes, the level didn't drop below any threshold that was "too low" as far as I was aware -- at any rate, it doesn't matter. What I was talking about was in regard to POWER OUTAGES. Which brings me to this:

But that's not what your original question was. You asked if after a power outage, will the pump restart.
And that is what my answer pertains to... try it out for yourself. Unplug it, plug it back in. If it works fine, then there's your answer. If it doesn't work fine, then there's your answer. It really doesn't matter what any of us think or believe.

This disturbs me greatly...this sentiment of "it doesn't really matter what any of us think or believe"...really? Is that what these forums are really all about -- people asking questions although it doesn't matter what any already established enthusiasts in the hobby think or believe? That's a joke of some kind, right? Please tell me so, because I have to be honest -- that's precisely why many people like me join such boards, as to get the honest opinions and insight and beliefs from more knowledgeable established members. If it "didn't matter" what any of you believe or think, what is the point of interactive boards such as this? All of us would just experiment on our own without the benefit of skilled guidance or insight.

Contrary to this theory and belief of yours, it does matter to me what you all think and believe.

Yes... I have knowledge of this, but it isn't any different than nearly 100% of the people here have already said.

Alright -- take it easy. I am coming dangerously close to not even wanting to exchange in conversation with you any longer because it seems I am causing a hostility within you over these queries, when there was no intention of doing so whatsoever from my end.

You pretty much have three answers:

1. If the water level drops in your tank drops low enough to break the internal siphon of the filter, then yes... you will have to reprime it manually - just as you have during your water change.

2. If the water level in your tank is high enough, and you just unplug the filter and plug it back in, the filter will start pumping water just fine - no priming required.

3. If you unplug the filter and plug it back in and it doesn't start pumping water and you need to reprime it, then the water level in your tank is too low, or the intake tube on the filter unit is not seated properly.

Thank you for this summary -- that's all that needed to be stated, with a peaceful suggestion of "perhaps the options come down to this" as a preface; alas, I thank you for your time and input. It seems as though as long as my water level in the tank is kept pretty high before I leave on an absence, the 110 should prime itself in the event of a power outage, and start flowing once more...

But the water was lowered during the water change to a level below the intake tube, right? That broke the siphon.

Okay...I am going to attempt stating this once more: During my water changes, I never dropped the water below the intake tube -- that's WAY too deep in my tank (I only attempted 35% at the most changes at a time). Furthermore, as I have stated, I in all fairness did not wait long enough to see if the filter would reprime on its own -- it made some brief noises and I dumped tank water in the box to begin the siphoning and flow.

All I am trying to ascertain is if this unit will start up and begin flowback on its own if the power is cut and I am not home. That's all.

The suggestions have been made already with regard to this, so let's just leave it at that.

As far as I can tell from what you wrote, you've never done exactly what many of us are saying. Not sure why not... takes about 10 seconds to do. If you'd rather argue about it versus trying to understand what we're trying to tell you, I think you'll find yourself eventually arguing to an empty room.

I'm not arguing -- but what's so difficult to understand when I simply state I would like to get this information firsthand from other AC owners before I attempt this. It's just what I prefer to do -- again, I refer to the fact that this is an interactive questioning forum in which we can discuss these kinds of things. Everyone doesn't have to do everything someone suggests...do they? Isn't that what an opinion is all about? If this bothers you so much, why do you insist on replying and claiming that I am attempting to argue?

Apparently, this so-called "room" that you cite isn't empty, as I'm clearly reaching others who see that this isn't an argument, but rather a discussion.

Its simple science. It really has nothing to do with the water being below the intake strainer. Just like a water change. If you put a hose in the tank, start a siphon, and put the other end of the hose below the other end, the water is going to run out. Reverse that, and the water will run back in to the tank... Right?

Ok, now that we've compared, think about it this way. If the water level in the tank drops below the bottom of the intake in the filter, its going to siphon that water back in to the tank. Simple.

Now, IF you had a power outage while you were out, the tank would be full, right? There would be no problem. The only way that siphon is going to break if the power goes out, is if your tank breaks too, or you're gone so long that the water evaporates to a level lower than that of the intake tube in the filter.

Does this make sense now?

This has made it more confusing to me, quite honestly, because now you're introducing the variable that suggests it actually has nothing to do with the water dropping below the intake strainer -- when that factor has been discussed over and over again.

In any event -- I am going to assume that as long as the water level in my tank is full, the 110 should come back on its own after a power outage.

At least, I pray.

Contrary to this theory and belief of yours, it does matter to me what you all think and believe. ...

I told myself I was done even reading your posts, but I'm not going to let this one go by without a response.

That's great that our opinion matters in this regard, but what I'm saying is that our opinion really doesn't matter in this specific question. As you've by now figured out, there are a few variables when it comes to giving you a yes or no answer. We aren't there to see first hand your setup. You want to know if your pump will restart when the power goes off and comes on. Even if 100% of us said it would, if you tested it yourself and it didn't... well... it really didn't matter what we thought, did it? For whatever reason, your configuration didn't. And that's the answer you're looking for.

Now if you're talking about questions like "...should I house my goldfish with a piranha I've been eyeing down at the fish store..." then those are questions that do NOT warrant a "test it out and see" response. But when the answer is as easy to get as crossing the room, pulling a plug, and plugging it back in, can't you understand why a few folks here (myself included) are about ready to grab the darn plug through our screens and do it ourselves. I really don't understand why you won't do it yourself, and would rather just assume or pray that it will. It's not like you're going to kill all the lights of Las Vegas (not that this would be a bad thing) if you unplug your AC from the wall.

Fine... if I'm the one arguing because I keep responding, then that's easy to solve. :taped:

I told myself I was done even reading your posts, but I'm not going to let this one go by without a response.

Funny...and curious at the same time...I was about ready to do absolutely the same with regard to your replies...

Funny ole world, isn't it? ;)

That's great that our opinion matters in this regard, but what I'm saying is that our opinion really doesn't matter in this specific question. As you've by now figured out, there are a few variables when it comes to giving you a yes or no answer. We aren't there to see first hand your setup. You want to know if your pump will restart when the power goes off and comes on. Even if 100% of us said it would, if you tested it yourself and it didn't... well... it really didn't matter what we thought, did it? For whatever reason, your configuration didn't. And that's the answer you're looking for.

Now if you're talking about questions like "...should I house my goldfish with a piranha I've been eyeing down at the fish store..." then those are questions that do NOT warrant a "test it out and see" response. But when the answer is as easy to get as crossing the room, pulling a plug, and plugging it back in, can't you understand why a few folks here (myself included) are about ready to grab the darn plug through our screens and do it ourselves. I really don't understand why you won't do it yourself, and would rather just assume or pray that it will. It's not like you're going to kill all the lights of Las Vegas (not that this would be a bad thing) if you unplug your AC from the wall.

Fine... if I'm the one arguing because I keep responding, then that's easy to solve. :taped:

Do what you like, and believe what you like -- I'll say it again: This was a matter of opinion to me and I did want the insight from all of you...furthermore, it did matter what you all thought and believed.

I knew somehow this was going to spiral down into this -- inevitable deluge of anonymous internet forum behavior -- but alas, I believe you nailed it on the head (oh...your last statement, I mean). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom