A Quick, Fleeting Yet Disturbing Thought I Had About My AquaClear 110...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just thinking...because this filter isn't self-priming, what happens if I'm on vacation and a power outage occurs? The filter can't come back on on its own, requiring water to be added to start flowing, so what happens?

I mean, right now I have the second Aqueon filter running with the AquaClear 110, and that one is self priming, immediately sucking water in when the power is restored...but what if I didn't have that Aqueon? What if I had the two 110s or just the one 110 for that matter -- what happens during a power outage if we're not home for some time?

the ac will suck up water as long as it doesnt drop below the suction tube.try this unplug it and plug it back up and it will work fine.

Yep. Never had an issue with them priming.

the ac will suck up water as long as it doesnt drop below the suction tube.try this unplug it and plug it back up and it will work fine.

Thanks Reef.

Do you mean below the intake strainer line when you say "as long as it doesn't drop below the suction tube"? That would be pretty low!

I have "tried" what you suggest for me to do -- that is, unplugging it and seeing if it would restart when I do the diastrous water changes...I end up needing to prime it with cupfulls of tank water for some reason...

yeah it should be ok and not lose siphon as long as the water level in the tank isn't too low.

Does it matter where the flow rate adjustment knob is? Should it be at minimal output before leaving for an absence?

Yep. Never had an issue with them priming.

What I don't get -- and perhaps someone could shed some light on this -- is, if these filters are marketed by Hagen as "requiring priming" then why can everyone have this experience of the filters actually priming on their own when there's a power shutoff?

What I'm trying to say is...are these self priming, or not? :crazyeyes:

If the water drops below the intake strainer then you will need to prime.Priming means that it needs water in the pump or impeller to help siphoning.
These are not self priming. try it with out water in the filter and you will understand the siphoning.

Priming means that it needs water in the pump or impeller to help siphoning.
This are not self priming. try it with out water in the filter and you will understand the siphoning.

I know the AquaClears aren't "self priming," that's what I'm complaining about...my Aqueon does automatically suck water up immediately upon plugging it in, without needing water to be poured into the chamber like the AquaClears do...

If the tank water level drops below the end of the U-tube inside the filter, it will siphon the water out of the filter and break the siphon. As long as the siphon remains unbroken, the U-tube will stay filled with water and the filter doesn't need to be primed.

If the tank water level drops below the end of the U-tube inside the filter, it will siphon the water out of the filter and break the siphon. As long as the siphon remains unbroken, the U-tube will stay filled with water and the filter doesn't need to be primed.

So how do we ensure that the water level doesn't drop below the end of the U-tube inside the filter?

Keep the tank filled. You need to lose something like 4"-6" of water to break the siphon. If you've got a decent lid on the tank, that's at least a month's evaporation in most environments.

Keep the tank filled. You need to lose something like 4"-6" of water to break the siphon. If you've got a decent lid on the tank, that's at least a month's evaporation in most environments.

I have two 24" glass tops (separate) under the actual wood canopy, so there are lids on the tank...

So, as long as the water level is high enough before leaving on an absence, the filter should restart and reprime itself in the event of a power outage? Is that what you're saying?

With regard to your evaporation statement, do you mean that with a covered tank (with glass lids and such) evaporated water shouldn't start being noticed until about a month's time?

They are not self priming filters, as you said. The answer to your question as to why they start back if unplugged is simple. They dont lose their siphon by losing power. They only lose their siphon when the water level gets so low, that the filter drains itself and requires priming again (or there's a problem with the filter, we wont complicate things by going there). I would not worry one bit about leaving. My biggest fear when leaving the house, especially this time of year, is the electricity going out and the house getting cold. I never worry about my filters ;)

Thanks.

So, they are not self priming...yet WILL start by themselves when there's a power loss?

I just received the below response from someone on a different forum I frequent regarding the AquaClears, and it seems quite contradictory to what I have been told thus far about these filters and their self priming:

I have an Aquaclear 30 they do not reprime themselves when there is a poweroutage. Sometimes if it is short enough it will but if it is off for awhile it will not self prime. I encourage you to purchase a Marina Slim filter. I have a Slim S20 which has the motor stuck underwater in the tank while the filter media is held in a slim HOB housing on the back. When you set it up you just plug it in. It is a great design, takes up very little room in the tank or behind the tank. It does not make any noise. There is one draw back is the filter cartridges are hard to get. I think because it is such a new design. I got lucky and picked mine up on clearance because the Petsmart by me was remodeling a few months ago and to get rid of inventory they marked it all down really cheap I got mine for $8.00. Good luck getting it that cheap. Odds are you won't but they usually sell for around $20 which is still a great price for an HOB filter. I wish I would have bought 2 so I could have replaced my Aquaclear 30. It is an ok filter but I really prefer The Marina Slim S20 filter. I highly recommend it. You can find cartridges online. I am extremely satisfied. By far the Marina Slim S20 filter is the best HOB filter on the market and I say you get the most bang for your buck.

...any thoughts? He's claiming they will NOT reprime after an outage, no matter what (although he's running a 30, not a 110)...:-?

EDIT: I noticed after doing some research and Googling on this guy's recommendation to me that Hagen actually makes the MARINA series "Slim" filters as well as the AquaClears -- what's the difference between the AquaClears and the Marina Slims? They seem to have the same clear housing and aesthetics, although the Slim is supposed to be able to wedge behind tight fits on a tank...is this the only difference?

I didn't know anything about the Marina filters by Hagen...

Have you tried unplugging YOURS and seeing if it reprimes? Sometimes the simplest answer is right in front of you.

Did I not say several times that I conducted this test simply by unplugging the unit during water changes?

I didn't give the unit enough time, attempting to prime it immediately with water from the tank, to see if it would start on its own, but it didn't sound like it would judging by the noises this thing was making...

Regardless, I just wanted to know if anyone had concrete information or knew for sure that the AquaClears did or did not reprime on their own. That's all. Do you have any knowledge of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom