A used 125 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asudavew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and new to a large tank.

Right now I have a 10 gallon, 30 gallon (just cycled), 35 gallon, 55 gallon all with fish.

But I just acquired this set up:

A 125 gallon tank, with a 25 gallon acrylic wet/dry sump, a heater, gravel, rocks, stand (gonna build a new one) and a CPR overflow (1200 GPH i think) for 200 dollars. I was quite happy.
And then the guy I bought it from threw in a 30 gallon complete setup with a stand. (That made my wife happy!)

The 125 gallon wasn't in great shape. I still have lots of cleaning to do and I had to scrape the back because it was painted black and the paint was chipping and falling off. It also had loads of mineral deposits on the frames and on the European bracing. (I've managed to get rid of most of it.)

But I do have some questions.

The silicon that seals the inside of the tank is green, has mineral deposits on it, and it just plain ugly.

So would it be wise to scrape it out and re-silicon the tank? Or should I leave well enough alone?

And if so, is there any silicone available at Lowe's or Home Depot that is non-toxic to the fish? Those little tubes at the fish store are expensive and it would take probably 5 or 6 of them. Plus the large tubes that fit in caulk guns would be much easier to handle.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

And I'm glad I found this forum!

Loads of good info and friendly folks.
Thanks for having me.

Dave

A pictured of the used tank

I just wanted to post a picture of the setup I bought.

I've thrown away the light/hood.

And I am in the process of cleaning up the tank.

I intend to build a new stand for it.

I did find many scratches on the front of the tank. Will that be a problem?(structurally?)

The back of the tank, that I scraped black paint off of has no scratches, so it will be the new front.

Attachments

• 125 gallon purchased.JPG
    125 gallon purchased.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 332
im in the same position as u rite now with a free 55 gallon. im torn. we ended up getting some silicon thats like 15ft worth of silicon. idk the price tho.

I can't remember what silicone it was that you can get at lowes/HD that is safe in Aquariums, I think it was GE silicone 1 but you should confirm this, got to Monster Fish Keepers and do a search on silicone and you should be able to find it there. You can get a tube that fits on a caulking gun from Dr Foster Smith cheaper than at the LFS. I would reseal it since you have to clean it all up any way.

When you set up your 125 and sump you can use some of the biomedia from your other tanks so you don't have to cycle your 125, you might go through a mini cycle. If you can add more media to each of your filters in your other tanks and only clean that media with tank water, then in 2-4 weeks you should have some bacteria on the media you can just place in you sump to seed the bioballs or whatever media is there.

Thanks Ideal!

I appreciate the help.

I went to Lowes and HD over the weekend. Every type of silicon they had in stock was not safe for aquariums...said so on the tube. ugh!

But I will check out monster fish and Dr Fosters.

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks Ideal!

I appreciate the help.

I went to Lowes and HD over the weekend. Every type of silicon they had in stock was not safe for aquariums...said so on the tube. ugh!

But I will check out monster fish and Dr Fosters.

Thanks again

Dave

Good luck and keep us posted.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I sure will.

Stuck on other projects right now.... washer leak.. tear out floor... lay tile...:rolleyes:

ugh so much for the fun of my new aquarium! But at least my Oscar is still little and living it up in his 55! :) Along with his his friends.

Silicone I have used in the past is CLR. I resealed an entire 75 with one tube with 1/2 a tube left. You should be able to seal an entire 125 with 1 tube.

Best regards,

William

Silicone I have used in the past is CLR. I resealed an entire 75 with one tube with 1/2 a tube left. You should be able to seal an entire 125 with 1 tube.

Best regards,

William

Thanks William!

I sure wish I could find something locally, but it looks like I will have to order online.

Back
Top Bottom