AAHHH! I still need a good filter!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just about had it with finding a good and quiet filter!!
I had temporarily stuck one of those Duetto filters in my 50 gallon tank. In the tank are 4 very large goldfish and a southern painted water turtle. Yes. These are all very dirty (well, they all poop allot :oops: ) animals.
So, on friday I plumbed a Lifeguard Mechanical filter and the fluidized bed filter to my tank. Needless to say, the pump was not powerful enough to get the water flowing and the motor on the pump (once I got some water flowing through it) was just too loud. I like to hear a little trickle waterfall sound, not the wirring of a pump!! :cry:
So, I ripped the unit off and chucked it outside. I was a little mad....
Now, I don't know what to get? I have seen the magnum canister filters, but are these just as noisy? any other ideas on what to do?? HELP!!!

Hey, Techboy... Thanks for the link. that sounds like that type of filter would work great. Do you happen to know how far the intake reaches into the tank?
I have the water in my tank, not up to the top because the turtle has to be able to get out of the water on top of a rock platform.
Oscar..
Are the Fluval Plus filters like the Duetto one? Where it is a fully submerable internal filter?

I have a Fluval xp3 canister filter, and I can barely hear it running. You could probably get away with a smaller Xp2. They're pretty cheap as far as canister filters go- I got mine for less thn $100.

The Magnum 350 is really strong and seems to be pretty easy to take care of relative to other cannister filters. When you need strong filtration for messy fish it seems the way to go. I have it under my tank in a cabinet and I can't hear it running... all I hear is the water flowing! Below is a review of the Magnum which I completely agree with.

Hope this helps! :)

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/pr/aaprmagnum350.htm

If you go for a Magnum, I'd go for the Magnum 350 Deluxe at a minium. With the deluxe you get the quick release valves which makes maintenacne 10x easier!

If you have room for and want even better biological filtration then go for the Magnum 350 Pro. It is basically the Deluxe version plus dual bio wheels. It also makes cleaning the gravel easier. You can hook the gravel cleaning hose directly to the intake valve of the cannister filter. Then turn it on and you can take your time cleaning the gravel cuz its not actually removing the water from the tank but instead just passing the water through the cannister filter traping all the gunk! Then you just clean out the cannister! Very nice system for heavy filtration requirements imho. :)

Back
Top Bottom