About to Throw in the Towel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dimdim

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So over the last month ive been searching for lighting for my 40 gallon reef. Im seriously about to give up on a reef tank. I cant get a good priced light from anywhere here in canada. Ive looked into every site Possible, fishneedit t5 is the fixture i want but thier site honestly to me is built worse then aquatraders. Amazon and any other site in the states even a cheap 250 nova fixture from current has over 100$ for shipping. Locally marked up pet shops are about 450 for the current usa nova extreme. Go visit www.fishneedit.com then visit www.aquatraders.com do i really have to explain why i think odyssea looks better?

Have you thought about par30 or par38 bulbs? I have two par30 bulbs from boostled over my 20 and so far they are working great.. I have them suspended about 16 inches above the tank and my trumpet is looking great, button poly is so-so but I think it was from a lack I flow and possibly to much light.. I tweaked it today so hopefully it will improve.

Have you looked into taotronics LEDs? They ship out of China so getting them into canada shouldn't be any different then the US

^my next lights will probably be either taorronics or ill build a DIY fixture from rapidled

Is budget an issue? In sorry to hear about your frustration. Are you close to a big city? Maybe try Craig's list. I know MR. X was selling halides.

Something else you might try...look for fixtures that meet the criteria you want but that aren't sold as "aquarium lights". I'm an electrical contractor and have found that building fixtures with the same specs are cheaper sometimes than "aquarium lights".

ive decided to go leds, hopefully i can get them on my tank, i cant hang from the ceiling due to cheap old completely sealed drop ceiling with cheap sealed ceiling tiles... i want the leds from china off ebay, there so many, ill post a few links which ones should i get? and how could i mount this on my aquarium? as hanging from the ceiling ISNOT an option
Dimmable led aquarium light 120W marineland led aquarium light | eBay

Dimmable 165W Led AQUARIUM Grow Light Royal Blue 10000K White Marine Coral Reef | eBay

55*3w 1pc Dimmable LED Aquarium Lights fish tank for marine Free Shipping | eBay

Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights 150W Colorful Coral Reef Tank lighting 3W LED light | eBay

I actually have the 36" quad t5 fixture from aquatraders.com and I love it!! My dad also has the same and loves his too!! I have soft and lps corals and they r doing great! I have heard people talk about the ballasts getting hot but I can run my lights all day and the ballast feels like cold metal.... Not even close to being slightly warm.

that didnt answer my question. no thanks. to pricey!!!

reefbreeds is not an option my tank is 36 inches long. and its to epensive. didnt answer my question about the fixtures i posted either.
you only have lps and softies? no sps or nems? is it the fixture witht the timer ?

I actually have a long tentacle nem.....it was looking really bleached in the store when I got it, but looks awesome now. I got the light without the timers but wish I had gotten the timers.... I paid a little less than $80 and the tax and shipping was free

have you replaced the bulbs from the stock bulbs? i live in canada and the fixture with the timer will only cost me 140 bucks shipped.

Might have to go with the odyssea then if no one chimes in about the leds

Did u look at my posts and leds i posted? If none of those are any good my only other option is an odyssea

I have not heard of any personal experiences with any of these exact fixtures but from the specs they all should be able to handle lighting a reef no problem. The quality of the leds I'm unsure of though along with what optics they use (may have missed it in the ads). With your tank being 3ft you'll need to raise the fixture a little higher since they are best for 2'x2' but that's not a bad thing as it could make it much easier to keep a mixture of light requirement corals in your tank. You could keep your softies on the edges with high light lps and sps in the middle directly under the fixture where your light will be most powerful.

Wonderfull thank you i will be ordering a light on monday morning, cause its a business day, if anyone else believes one of these would be a good investment over an odyssea fixture please chime in!

Back
Top Bottom