AC20 slight problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, quick question. A couple of times now, whenever I've unplugged my AC20, it didn't turn on when I plugged it back in. The impeller just wouldn't turn. I had to take the actual pump off of the AC20, rinse it some, then it would work.

Today it apparently just turned off period. I guess it stopped in the middle of the day. I came home and mom said she couldn't hear the filter, so I went to look at it, and it obviously wasn't running. I couldn't hear it running at all. The pump was HOT. I was scared that it was broken. I rinsed it and it worked again, but there wasn't THAT much stuff in it. What's going on? Tomorrow morning I'm going to buy another filter just in case. I'm also going to let the new filter seed, then soak the old one in vinegar to clean it out. Any ideas? Is it just dirty?

Anyone ever tried a marina slim filter? I've read good things (well, one good thing), but I wanted to ask you guys. I know ACs are the best yada yada yada, but I don't feel like cutting my hood again, so I need a slim filter.

Check the impeller shaft to see if it's worn, and look through the center of the impeller to see if it's out-of-round or significantly larger in diameter than the shaft. If either is worn the impeller tends to hang up if the power goes out, even briefly. All you need to do to get it going again is remove the intake and use a pencil or something similar to "bump" the impeller.
If the shaft needs replaced you can pull it out with a pair of pliers (after you have a new one ready to put in) and replace it the same way.

my ac50 did that right after i got it (used) from somebody. I took the pump off, took a brush and cleaned the impeller real good, down where the impeller sits, and havent had the problem since. Mine would stop turning too, then the pump would get real hot... it would start making a grinding noise for a second if i took a knife or something and started turning it while it was on... i guess there was just something in there, because its been several months now with no problems

I'll second giving it a good cleaning. Use white vinegar and a bottle brush. Filter motors are pretty simple. The impeller is the only moving part. If cleaning fails, I'd try a new impeller.

Back
Top Bottom