Acrylic Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I was just having a conversation with my wife about switching our Glass 55 Gallon Aquarium to Acrylic. It would be the same measurements as the original just Acrylic. What do you guys think is Acrylic better than glass? Or should I make the switch? We only want to do for the safety or our kids I think glass right now having children around is way to risky... Let me know what you guys think....

Thanks
:)

I have an acrylic tank and it scrathes way to easy. On the issue of safty and children, I would make the switch and just be careful of scratching the tank.
T.

I prefer acrylic for lighter weight, durability, and clarity. They do scratch easier than glass (glass does scratch), but at least acrylic can be buffered out. I think a glass tank would suit fine for anything under 75g, but anything above that and I buy acrylic. Once full neither will be tipped easily and if you are worried about flying objects you can purchase a thicker pane of glass, but then you are getting into custom work.

Hmmm...What is your concern with the kids?

I agree with Innovator's assessment. Be prepared to pay quite a bit more for the acrylic tank.

Hmmm...What is your concern with the kids?

I agree with Innovator's assessment. Be prepared to pay quite a bit more for the acrylic tank.

My concern is I caught my little 3 year old with a Hammer and almost nail the glass aquarium with it.... You know kids @ that age they are Curious for everything and they think they can be help to Daddy... LOL... and I had a almost 2 year old that's already hiding under the tank thinking it's a hiding place... Kids will be kids but I am more concern for there safety and if that hammer or anything would bang against a glass aquarium would break I would hate to see the Neighbor downstairs from us wondering why is my ceiling leaking so much....:-?:-?:-?:-?

I fully understand believe me!!!

Perhaps acrylic is the way to go for you for now.

Thanks. I am not really worried about the price. I already email to get a quote to have a Build in Skimmer mounted on or into the tank. Since the Acrylic Tanks have the Closed over heads and it's hard to get a HOB hooked on there... So we will see how it goes and if everything goes threw I'll give you guys an update....

Well $299 is going to be the price for a New one With HOB accessible.... Which is great. Well hopefully in the next month or so I will get this going and for now. I have a couple Questions...

1. Make the switch over from glass to Acrylic, Can I use the same Substrate or should it be replaced with new Substrate?
2. Would I have to go threw the Cycle process again? (It's like starting all over again) :)
3. How long would it be before putting my live stock back into the Main Tank?

Let me know
Thanks

1. I would suggest just starting over with new substrate. It's not that expensive and you run a big risk trying to transfer over the old sand bed.
2. You will probably see a mini-cycle but since most of the bacteria lives on your LR and your transferring that over it should be a much shorter then normal cycle.
3. If you have some other tank to keep them in that would be the best for a couple days while the new tank goes through this mini cycle. Shouldn't take more then a week i would guess though. Just keep an eye on the parameters in the new tank so you know when it is finished cycling.

It's ok to have them in a 18 gallon tote until that process is finish or I can just put them back into the 55 gallon once it's all clean out from all the sand and LR?

When I upgraded my 75 to the 125 I used all my sand from the 75. I just rinsed it thoroughly in fresh water and put it in the new tank. I took all my corals out and put them in a 20g tank, drained the water from the 75 and used it in the 125, then put all the rock and coral back in. I had no problems at all.

When I upgraded my 75 to the 125 I used all my sand from the 75. I just rinsed it thoroughly in fresh water and put it in the new tank. I took all my corals out and put them in a 20g tank, drained the water from the 75 and used it in the 125, then put all the rock and coral back in. I had no problems at all.

hhhhmmmm, That doesn't sound like a bad Idea. Maybe I'll conduct a water change before transfering over to acrylic that way I don't need to make a whole new batch of SW. But in the other hand I am not a Professional yet so maybe I will get 2 30LB bags of New sand and start over, just to be on the safe side. I can't wait to get this going again.

ACRYLIC I have children the same age and they not only hammer things but they throw things. That's the main reason I got a 75 gallon "All in one". Just do it- Piece of mind- Priceless

ACRYLIC I have children the same age and they not only hammer things but they throw things. That's the main reason I got a 75 gallon "All in one". Just do it- Piece of mind- Priceless

Well it's not the first incident with kids messing with the tank check this out
:)

Alright thinking about it long enough I will take your route and see how that works but instead of rinsing the sand just replacing it with new sand but I will use the same water. Would that still affect anything for cycling?

If you keep the fish count low the only thing you might have is a small Ammonia or nitrite spike. You have to remember that the sand is a part of the filter system.

Back
Top Bottom