Acrylic tank and equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
This question might be difficult to answer, but I have an acrylic 29 gal that I intended to convert over to SW. As it stands, the tank has a piece that is cut in the center about 18"x6" for the lid, there are two circular openings for heaters and the like at either side toward the back, and the back of the tank is cut to fit a Penguin 330. My concern has to three-fold:
1) I have read a number of suggestions that the tank should be run without a lid (eggcrate placed on top) for better air exchange. Would I lose this with the relatively small opening?
2) Will this opening wind up being a pain as far as placing LR?
3) Most importantly, is the way that the tank is cut for the HOB filter just going to cause a big headache as far equipment goes for the tank?

Are these significant issues or am I just trying to find an excuse to get another tank? :)

One other question--as far as LR, I noticed that liveaquaria.com has what seems to be a very good deal on Fiji LR (45# for $90.) Is this as good a deal as I am thinking or is this just a very poor quality rock? Along the same lines, for a tank this size, would I be better off looking at rock for a nano tank?

Thanks very much,
Chris

unless you want fish that know to be "jumpers" you can do a tank without a lid.

the price is good but the quality may not be. did you check the live rock at liverock.com

just be careful not to scratch your acrylic with the rock

My personal opinion...

One of the most important factors in keeping a healthy reef aquarium is the gas exchange system which is the amount of open area that the water from the aquarium and the outside air touch or interact. If you have a covering over the aquarium you will still have this gas/water area, but the air (unless it is blown in/circulated) will not equilize with the air in the room meaning that it won't function as well as an area that has free open areas to the rest of the room's air. So, if you do decide to use this covered aquarium I would suggest placing a small fan pointed into the large opening to transfer air to and from the covered area.

You would have to buy fairly small LR to fit it through that hole.

I would think that the lack of flexibility for equipment may be a problem in the future when you want to add better filtration.

And Like pelochas said, Acrylics scratch sometimes, be carefull with your rock.

Also, cleaning your aquarium would be difficult and if something is difficult we as people tend to avoid it or procrastinate. :D

If money is not the problem I would get another tank, maybe cut the top hole larger and use it for filtration for the new tank. This is of course ONLY if the top is not used to strengthen the sides of the aquarium or you could have a mess on your hands. :( You should be able to make the hole larger without endangering the structural stability of the tank, but I can't guarentee that without seeing it.

Like I said, just my opinion

Best Wishes Chris,

Mark

pelochas said:
the price is good but the quality may not be. did you check the live rock at liverock.com

I am familiar with liverock.com. And while I understand that they offer excellent product, a 40# box of their base rock is $120. This is what had me considering the liveaquaria.com offer. Has anyone had any experience in that regard?

I have purchased from liveaquaria several times without a problem. If you read what liverock.com base rock is it still sounds like better rock than the walt smith. You may also want to check ebay. A lot of people sell the walt smith rock. I have never heard bragging on walt smith rock. I think it is the "generic" brand of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom