Acrylic vs Glass tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking at getting a larger tank, 180-200g, and wasn't sure of which is better. What are some pros and cons of either?

Glass:

Doesn't scratch as easily
Easier to clean
less expensive

Acrylic

Scratches easily
better clarity
lighter
more expensive
easy to drill
doesn't crack as easily

Not sure which way I would go. I've had 2 tanks crack on me that were glass and I've thought about going acrylic but the scratches bother me. It all depends on the application and what you plan to keep. Do you have kids? Glass breaks and kids tend to tap on fish tanks.

More or less it is 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

Well I think that settles me on acrylic. i'm actually ordering the tank from China for DIRT cheap (like 200g for $300ish) and glass would probably crack in the boat ride over. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any huge disadvantages to acrylic before ordering.

Don't really have a "link" per say. I'm just talking to a few manufactures in China that sell these tanks. I import goods for my other biz, so it just made sense to take a look over ther now that I'm into fish :)

If you go on some china sourcing sites you should be able to find ooddles of suppliers that sell tanks; however a word of caution - there are ALOT of expensive lessons to be learnt when importing goods from China!

I'll probably buy a tank or 2 from a supplier and see how the quality is, then perhaps organize a group buy here on the forum :)

There is no question that Acrylic is the way to go.

They are 7 times stronger than glass and 50 percent lighter.

Acrylic tanks are more crack resistant than glass and easier to modify.

Also, Acrylic tanks are far easier to cut into if you ever need to. Cutting glass is very difficult and requires special tools. Some glass fish tanks cannot even be altered outside of a factory.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom