Added Refugium need advice (Pics Attached)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcbboy32404

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me know if this looks right. I have two Maxi-jet 400's pumping into my emporer that has been modified to be an overflow tank. PVC comes out the back bottom of emperor and gravity feeds down to refugium. I have a Mag drive 500GPH Model 5 pumping up approx 46" about 4ft so approx 325GPH. The return is highly oxygenated. With the water level in the sump area will that burn up my pump? Everything is quiet with this configuration but this is my first time setting something like this up. Any questions comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Also 10lbs of miracle mud is in the bottom of refugium.

Thanks
PS
I will be doing something different with the return line that might help some with the cloudy water but i'm more worried about burning up the pump. It said do not run dry, is 50/50 water/air running dry?

See attached pics

Attachments

• pict0517.jpg
    pict0517.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 92
  • pict0519.jpg
    pict0519.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 99
  • pict0520.jpg
    pict0520.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 94
Better hope one of those maxijets never fails or they lose power and the return pump does not. HOB overflows have their downsides but you have 2 pumps supplying water to another pump. Could spell trouble if your not careful.

Good luck

Also if power does fail and your pumps shut off there is no way for your emporer setup to retain a syphon so even if the power turns on your overflows will not automatically start again. Overflows have a baffle built in them so the C tube is always submerged on both ends even if the power goes out.

Be very careful with your setup it could spell disaster.

Back
Top Bottom