Adding an Aquarium Chiller to my 77 gal fresh water tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigblue736

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I could use a little tech support here.I have a 1/4 hp Pacific Coast Chiller that I would like to hook up to my 77 gal fresh water tank.Here are the specs:
Specifications:
Controller: Dual Stage LCD
Dimensions: 14"Lx11.5"Wx17"H
Minimum Flow: 600GPH
Maximum Flow: 1000GPH
110 Volt
5.8 Amps
3080 BTU
Aquarium Size: 90-180 Gallon

I'm using a Fluval 404 Canister filter.So my question is How do I install it as it requires a 600-900 gph pump.I didn;t really want to place a big ass pump in my Aquarium cause it would look like poo if you get my drift.
Does any body have any ideas for me ?
Later
Bigblue

Attachments

• cl-650_132.jpg
    cl-650_132.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 176
You could do a closed loop similar to this design but without the SCWD and larger plumbing and pump. The canister isn't going to cut it and they don't handle back pressure well at all.

For pump options:

Mag 12
WMD-30RLXT Iwaki pump
Coralife Turbo-Sea 1100P

Just curious since I'm not big on FW fish but since your tank isn't planted what kind of temps are you getting and what do you want to keep it at? I would imagine that if you have air conditioning and a decent fan it would keep the temps where they need to be.

Hi tecwzrd

Thanks for responding.
Just curious since I'm not big on FW fish but since your tank isn't planted what kind of temps are you getting and what do you want to keep it at? I would imagine that if you have air conditioning and a decent fan it would keep the temps where they need to be.

I have my tank set @ 76df but during our summer months the temps can climb to 80+/-.We have A/C but don't ru it continuously because of the high energy costs so I thought about using the chiller.It would definatly be cheaper than running the A/C 24/7 don't ya think!
I think I can make that design work for me though.
Thanks for the tip
Later
Bigblue

I'm sure it would be cheaper but I can't stand temps higher then 73 in the house :lol: What did you do for the other hot summers while running this tank? Glad I could help :D

P.S. Love your HUGE fish by the way.

Hi tecwzrd

We like r house around 76 df.What did I do you ask ?Well,nothing I could do and my fish suffered for it.I'm just trying to make it better for them this summer.I see the difference in the way my fisk act as well as my plants don't thrive etc.Like the plants always seem to die off slowly and my fish don't eat as well and they arn't as active.
So you spoted my fish did ya.I think they'll even get biger yet.I'm shootin for my Big Loach to be at least 8".Now that would be sweet for a tank such as mine don't you think.I appreciate your tip so I think I will give it a go .
Thanks again
Later
Bigblue

Back
Top Bottom