Adding an extra underwater mini filter to my 10g, too much for air pump to handle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Using an online aquarium calculator to calculate the stock I wish to have for my 10g, it warned me about adding extra filtration to accommodate for the bio-load. Currently I have 2 ADFs and a platy. I want to add 1 dwarf gourami and 1 more platy once it's entirely finished cycling (almost there). I know it sounds crazy, but I even want to add a small school of neon tetras, but that was out of the question when I added them into the equation. However once I added an extra small filter, the filtration capacity was more than adequate. After some research, I found the Elite Underwater Mini Filter, which requires the use of an air pump. Right now I have an air pump that is fit for the size of up to 10g (Top Fin brand), that is currently in use. I was thinking about adding a Y connector to connect to the air stone and the new Mini Filter. I know it will cause less bubbles coming from the air stone, but that is actually what I hope for because right now the bubbles seem to cause lots of water movement. They are connected to a decorative dragon that forms giant bubbles that pop at the surface and cause quite a bit of surface agitation, which I don't want especially once the dwarf gourami is in there. My question is, would this be too much for the small air pump to handle if it's going to be supplying air for both the air stone and the underwater mini filter?

Depending on what parts you have?
Use airline valves!
Either a single 3 way valve (input>bleed/air stone/filter)
Or use 2 t pieces or a single 4 way cross and 3 single valves to divide and control the air in the same manner. Then you have total control of air distribution.

Look in airline accessories or something like that.

Depending on what parts you have?
Use airline valves!
Either a single 3 way valve (input>bleed/air stone/filter)
Or use 2 t pieces or a single 4 way cross and 3 single valves to divide and control the air in the same manner. Then you have total control of air distribution.

Look in airline accessories or something like that.

Thank you! I found some on Amazon, had no idea I could find ones that control air flow. Thanks a bunch!!

No worries.
Just keep the junctions above the waterline. It's good practice to keep air pumps high, if the power goes out, it could back siphon.
(Or use a one way air valve for each line going into the tank)

Thanks for the thanks!(y)

Back
Top Bottom