Adding Kent Float Valve to sump from existing RO/DI line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased a Kent Float Valve (KFV) off of eBay.. I already have an RO system, and just added a DI filter on the line t'd off to go to my sump (replace evaporated H2O) and new water resevoir (for new salt water). My RO system has it's own holding tank, it's own auto shut-off, etc., and is used for our drinking water as well.

Can I just put the KFV in my sump, with a line from my RO/DI system feeding it? It came with a solenoid, but I think that is just to auto shut-off the RO if necessary..is that right? The KFV manual says "not to be used in sump", so I don't know if that is just "guidance" or fact for some reason. I have read other posts of people using this valve for their sumps, or so i thought...

I just want an easy way to replace evaporated water steadily throughout the day and thought this would work.

That's what I've got in my sump, don't see why they wouldn't recommend it. mine didn't come with instructions. but it works just fine in the sump. you don't need the solenoid if you have the auto shut-off on the RO.

One thing that I would do though is look at the end of the float switch where the nylon nut will screw onto the black threaded part of the float switch. If it is uneven from the factory mold, you need to sand it flush to avoid leaks when the float is closed. The back pressure will cause a leak through the uneven fitting between the 2 pieces. a small little O ring will help too.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom