adequate lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxVooDooxX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok I have a 46 GAL bow front tank that Is my new reef tank. I have two 18 inch T8 15 watt Actinic Bluelight bulbs. Is this enough for this tank? at least for now?

I would say for now, without anything in there, yes. But once you begin stocking up corals, no. Definitely would not be enough. You might get away with some softies, not even all of them. It's just not enough light, and T8 bulbs are nothing compared to T5's or VHO's. Not to mention that it's only an 18" fixture. If you had a larger one that covered more of the tank then maybe you could do softies.

Well the bulbs are End to end so it does light up the whole tank. It seems so bright I just thought more light would not be required.

Oh yeah i didn't see the part where you said *two* fixtures. Well, in that case, maybe. You might be able to keep some softies. Still though, they are almost equivalent to Normal Output fixtures, especially without well crafted reflectors. I wouldn't count of keeping much with those lights.

ok well right now Im just trying to get it started, I have 1 clown, an emerald crab for clean up, a feather duster and a seabea anemone. Not sure if that spelling is correct but you get the idea :) Im really trying to go as slow as possible with this tank!

That sebae anemone won't be living for much longer under those lights. They need very intense lights to stay alive, even if you feed them. Not to mention that sebaes are not hardy anemones, at all. No anemone is really hardy, but some are more than others, and that is not one of them.

Just a quick question... but.. is this tank cycled?

ha! Partially, I was directed in the complete opposite direction of where I should have started. In my earlier posts I mentioned what I had in my tank. I got them from my LFS and she (the owner) had told my wife and I that a mandarin goby was a "great starter fish!" after doing my research i found that this is not true at all. So I took it back before she starved to death and all I could get was store credit. With my store credit I got the anemone paired with the clown. I asked so many questions on this site and found that this was not a good purchase on my part but the LFS said "OHHHH no you will be fine! they will thrive in your new tank!" I found a new LFS in Reno that is much more helpful and know what they are talking about. They are not just in it for the quick sale. Im not really sure where to go from here. My tank have 100s of microscopic copepods in it and the anemone has only been in for 24 hours....what do I do?!?

Well, your only options are to get stronger lights, as soon as you can, return the anemone to the fish store before it dies, and then nukes your entire tank, or just keep it and see how it fairs out, which more than likely will not be good. Especially since the tank is not cycled. Water fluctuations will be prevalent, and anemones absolutely hate unstable water conditions. Sorry to say.. :(

I think the first signs you should be looking for are the anemone constantly moving around, deflating, and then trying to hide under rocks. Although, it will most likely be moving around constantly, and trying to get as close as it can to your lights.

Yesterday it was moving alot but today it's been quite stationary. It's not inflating or deflating it's just kinda hanging out flowing in the current.

Ok sorry my house is dark and the blue light is not working well with the camera on my phone....but, you can kinda make it out. It's on the sand kinda folded over on it self. The clown won't leave it's side!

Attachments

• image-1311039443.jpg
    image-1311039443.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 92
Update: I talked to the very knowledgeable LFS and he is going to take the sebea anemone from me. I'm bringing it to him because my tank hasn't completely cycled and I don't want the risk of it dying. Not only for the sake of the anemone but I don't want it fouling the water aswell! I know I'm doing the right thing :)

Back
Top Bottom