Advice needed on skimmer issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keimaxbode

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just upgrades my tank from 55 with 2 power HOB filters to a 100 with 55 gal sump and refugium. I'm on a budget so have been watching CL for skimmer deals. I would like to get best used skimmer I can afford, which is only about $100 - $200. The closer to the $100 mark, the better. Needless to say, is been difficult especially locally.

I've found a couple of food deals but would require modifying my sump to make skimmer area larger and fuge smaller. I have pics posted in DIY forum.

Basically, would it be worth the modification on my sump to get the better skimmer? The deal I found most recently is for (2) Euro Reef skimmers (CS 8-2). One with the 5000 (sp?) pump and the other without (both for $150) Footprint is 11 x 13.5 x 24. My skimmer section is 10x12 currently.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. If the suggestion is going with a lower quality skimmer, which would you suggest. I have one recommendation for Eshopps PSK 150 (Thanks, Carey!).

Diana

I also reccomend the eshopps, I have the psk 75h and am really impressed and I have it on a 47g tank, these seem to be geared to smaller stuff like biocubes and 30g tanks, but it does great. I got a deal on it off craigslist $40 + a zoa frag (15 heads of eagle eyes)

Thanks guys! Are the Eshoops easy to use (I'm talking basically plug & play)? Since this will be my first skimmer, don't want anything complicated. That's one of the reasons I was looking at ER or RO.

Eshoops are very easy to use. Read your instructions and you can dial it in the way you want it. My psk-100 is the stand alone filter along with my live rock on my 20gal. long reef build.

It's not complicated, it adjusts a little different than some skimmers, you adjust the water out flow which regulates the water height, where other skimmers I've used you can only adjust airflow. You can also adjust airflow on the eshopps of you needed to. I wouldn't say it's a set it and forget it thing, but you don't have to mess with it much.

Just chiming in with I have two eshopps skimmers on my tanks and love them. They are pretty cheap and work really well.

I haven't had any real trouble adjusting it so far, once they break in they are pretty consistent.

Hope that helps!

Goo luck!

I'd keep an eye out for a reef octopus skimmer if you can. Usually a bit more money new but sometimes you can catch one off CL.

That's what I've been doing. That, Euro Reef and the Eshopps. Unfortunately my skimmer section isn't big enough for the ones I've run into so far so is there another brand that is good but would fit in a 9 x 12 space? I think my height is fine. Otherwise, I'm seriously thinking of remodeling my sump. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom