advice on lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudraker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an old 30 gallon Oceanic tank that has only been used for freshwater. I bought it a few months ago from someone moving. Anyway, there is a greenish tint to the glass, and the light that came with it was for plants, though there weren't any in it. The plant light made the fish and water look a dull yellow. I managed to acquire a run-of-the mill flurorecent which lessened the effect, but did not eliminate it.

I went to the oceanic site and just got confused at the choices, etc.

What light can I get that will eliminate the yellow tint to the water and fish?

The water is good, and the fish are mostly tetras, platy's, average community tank type fish, and what plants I can grow in any kind of light.

Any advice would be appreciated because its driving me crazy and geography dictates I have to buy online, so I'd like to be able to do it once, not experiment.

Thanks

What type of bulb is in there now? Is it a regular normal output fluorescent bulb or power compact? If it's regular fluorescent, you can buy Daylight bulbs from your hardware store. If they are power compact, you want something in the 10k to 15k color range.

Probably low kelvin rated bulbs. Good for plant growth but very yellow looking. Like ccCapt said some higher K bulbs will do the trick. I personally would go with around 15k gives you a nice cool clean white.

Thanks, I will order a higher K right away. Will let you know as soon as it arrives how it looks.

The color problem has been hugely disappointing and distracts from the beauty of the fish. But they are all happy and healthy at least.

Back
Top Bottom