AGA "designer series" 15g tall lighting help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeeptree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK where to start?
I picked up this tank about 4 months ago and love it.
But this morning I threw the switch on for the lights and went to take my shower, later on I came back to the tank and no lights. :confused:
I felt the top of the tank and it was burning up!!!!! I puled the cord out of the wall and took the top off. I insistently smelled that all so familiar burned electronics smell I new right away that it was the transformer. when I finally got a chance to take it apart to see what kind of transformer it was so rusted that I couldn't pull any info off of it.
I have spent the last hour searching online to find anyone who has this tank only to find that it was discontinued in "03". I just want to put this thing back together on the cheep. any Ideas?
ps. It just has a 12 inch Hagen 8 Watt Bulb. all I need to know is what size transformer should I get to replace the old one?

What bulb is it? One of the 12V halogen or a CF fluorescent? <Pic of the bulb would help.>

I have one of the 15W CF's. Hagen sells a complete bulb/reflector/endcap + ballast unit (also in 12/9W's). You can use one of those to swap out your bad one. <Assuming that the mount fits, or you might be able to make it fit with a bit of modification ....>

This is a pic of one like mine:
eBay.com.sg: COMPACT FLUORESCENT LIGHT UNIT AQUARIUM FISH TANK BNIP (item 330346074295 end time Jul 21, 2009 01:41:58 SGT)
<Only one I found on the web & is in UK, but I have seen those at my lfs, and that did came with my hagen tank.>

If your transformer/ballast is that rusted, you will likely have to replace the wires & endcaps as well. Therefore, your other option is to look at various retrofit kits that will fit inside the hood. Those tend to start at 35W so might be too much light for you unless you are going planted or a reef. The Hagen units are the only lower watts solutions I've seen.

img_1015764_0_5edf583132bccbb0c00ec05314351879.jpg
Thank you Jsoong I found the transformer I needed to get this light up and running. but your Input is going to help me latter. I found some one who built one of these in to a beautiful reef tank. The tank really influenced me to do the same. I will most likely use the same light you showed me or something like it. But I got the light working for now and looking to start a different project. I will be building a sump under the stand this should be very fun! lol
I have 25" H * 12.5 W *12.5 D to build this beast into I have never seen a sump stacked on top of its self. I may have a first here. (most likely not)
lol so look forward to me posting this build in the near future.

Definitely post pics of any new ideas & builds, you never know when you have a winner that might revolutionize the hobby!

Back
Top Bottom