air compressor, and the little diver thingy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middlechild

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the maximum size tank that does not require some kind of air injection system, in other words how much surface area can provide air exchange to support fish?

A cup for a beta, a two gallon open bucket, a 10 gallon if its only one inch deep, or a 10 gallon with a HOB filter?

Looking all over for the ubiquitous tacky little diver without luck, already have the garish multicolor gravel.

This was a serious question, if the words gave a flippant attitude then it was due to embarrasement over a simple question.

I have a 10g tank without an external air supply and four fish. How long will the fish last given proper food, and monitoring of levels?

Not sure your question is 100% clear.

All tanks will benefit from some type of oxygen exchange (unless you're injecting CO2, different story). Surface area alone doesn't provide for much gas exchange, rather the turbulance on a surface of water will provide the exchange.

On your 10g you specifically mentioned, is there any surface turbulance at all from a HOB filter or anything?

The output from the HOB filter is pretty much against the top of the water in the tank. There is not any "splash", just ripples more or less.

YMMV. I do not have an air stone in my 55 or 29 gal tanks. The 55 has a canister so it has no surface disruption. The 29 has a HOB so it has a little there. I have had no issues with skipping the air pump. Although, on my 150T I have to have air stones in the tank with the canisters otherwise the fish are gasping at the surface.

Sounds like the answer is that a air compressor with air stone is not a requirement for any size tank, that the surface area of the water provides for the exchange of gases sufficient for the fish. Having said this, there are circumstances where due to number of fish, or plants, or life that the exchange of gas is not sufficient and a compressor is required. The fish gasping at the surface is the sign that not enough air is present in the water, and time to buy additional capabilities.

Bottom line is that the diver with the head that opens for bubbles is just a tacky tank decoration. Reason enough to get one! Thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves to throw a tacky decoration into a "nature like" aquascape. lol

There's nothing "nature like" in this 10g tank. Too much of a family affair, yet I wouldn't trade this for anything. The kids are as much into it as I. When we learn on this 10g will apply to the 45g soon to come. That big tank will perhaps be more "nature like". Hoping for planted plants, among other things and a school of fish.

Day three and the tank is looking good. Now to go back and review the "cycling a tank" steps to find next items to watch. Also get pictures :)

Thanks for the help.

lol Truthfully, I like the un-nature like tanks. :) I like the neon pink and blue gravel with the treasure chest and clam shells that open with air, the pirate that moves around, the glow in the dark novelty rocks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom