Air pump advise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwcpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to add an air pump to my 46 gallon just for running a small bubble wall. I have a brand new Fluval air pump but it has two outlets and I just want to run a single hose, mainly for decoration although I'm hoping the fish will appreciate the added oxygen.

Any suggestions for the proper size and brand of air pump?

Thanks!

For a dual output air pump, you could use a TEE fitting to join the two outputs into a single output.
You could also connect the single output to a three way or gang valve and that will allow you to control the amount of air going to the bubble wand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I thought of that but thought that I would end up with too much air for a small bubble wall. Ended up buying the cheapest one (Top Fin brand). Seems to work fine for the job so far.

The real question is whether the fish need added air in the aquarium. I have a canister filter, so the water's surface is never broken.

I thought of that but thought that I would end up with too much air for a small bubble wall. Ended up buying the cheapest one (Top Fin brand). Seems to work fine for the job so far.

The real question is whether the fish need added air in the aquarium. I have a canister filter, so the water's surface is never broken.

That's where the three way or gang valves come into play. They allow you to divert the excess air and control the amount of air going to the bubble wall.
Is adding air needed? It depends on the size of the tank, filter throughput, and bio-load. Most folks add them for aesthetics but they do a good job moving water to the surface where gas exchange can occur. One negative is the splash/spray produced by the popping bubbles. It kept the underside of the hood wet and combined with the lighting, became a mat of algae. There's also the crusty deposits left on the hood and tank rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom