Air Pump for 180 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnalbach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for an air pump for my 180 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have been reading and it seems the coralife luft aquarium pump is pretty good.

really dont need a air pump in most tanks. do you want it for looks or like what mfdrookie said for a use like ugf?

I am just looking to use it for some air stones/bars across the back of my tank.

to be honest with you, they are not needed, and imo, they take away from the look of the tank and make it look fake. they go good with the neon gravel and tie dye decor you can get at petsmart, but i really dont think they look good in a tank... but thats just my opinion...

so it is not necessary to have aeration in the tank. I was told it was good to release gases?

surface agitation is what helps with oxygen exchange... an air pump doesnt actually put air in the water, it just disturbs the surface, which helps with getting oxygen in the water... I dont have air pumps on any of my tanks, my filters provide enough surface agitation... If you dont have much surface agitiation, you may want to consider a spray bar if you run a canister filter or a wet/dry setup... i just think that air stones and wands/bars/etc make the tank look all phony, and take away from the natural look... remember, lakes and rivers dont have air pumps in them, the wind and currents and waterfalls (if they have them) do the work, same thing as filters

Back
Top Bottom