Air pump frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

Got an air pump problem that has me stumped. A couple weeks ago I bought a (40 gallon) Tetra 77853 Whisper Air Pump to power an air stone in my 29 gallon tank. Last week I decided that if I'm going to have three pregnant female platies, I might as well try to save the fry. So I set up a 5 1/2 gallon "fry tank" below the 29 gallon, and put a sponge filter in it.

But when I connected a splitter to the air pump and hooked up both the air stone and the sponge filter, I only got bubbles out of the sponge filter. I tried raising the pump up high to see if it was a gravity issue, and still nothing. When I blocked off the sponge filter port, the air stone bubbled. When I leave the air flow unobstructed, the air stone will not bubble at all. The splitter is wide open with clear air flow through all three tubes. It seems to me that an air pump designed for 40 gallons could handle split duty between a 29 gallon and a 5 1/2 gallon.

Before I spend any more money on another air pump, I wanted to run this by the experts. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Christa

Chris...

The air pump doesn't have enough power to run both. You should have a larger air pump with two ports or get another air pump.

You don't need to set up a separate tank for the fry. All you need are some floating plants like Hornwort and drop individual stems into the main tank. Floaters are fast growing and provide hiding places for the females and the fry. There's no need to move any of the fish. Start feeding the adult fish a little more and more often. Well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry and the added food will allow the fry to grow quickly.

B

The air will follow the path of least resistance, in this case the sponge filter. You can get a splitter with adjustable valves, this can be a bit finicky but it should work. Or just get another small air pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for your quick replies. I'll see if I can procure another air pump.

As an aside it's interesting that in 48 years I've never been called Chris before. First time for everything, I guess, but I think I'll keep the name I have. :)

Christa,

Nothing personal. The three periods after the name is an "Ellipsis". Just means an intentional shortening of a word to save space or time.

B

All good. :D I was just a little surprised, is all.

Thanks for the advice!!! I keep trying to figure out how to fix these aquarium problems without spending any more money, and that just "ain't happening!" Somehow I get the hunch that this hobby is going to take over my house, the way land hermit crabs took it over 20 years ago. :)

Update: One the way home I stopped at Petco and found a packet of Imagitarium adjustable valves, splitters, suction cups, etc. for $4.99. It was a pretty good price, considering they wanted .99 for one splitter by itself.

When I got home I got it all set up and within 15 minutes had bubbles coming from both tanks. Then I put a shrimp in the smaller tank to get the cycle started.

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Christa

Back
Top Bottom