Air Pump Newbie Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazz68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I'm a kinda newbie to fish keeping. My son had a tank about 20 years ago with tropical fish. Since then I've had gold fish a few times but that's about it so have lots to learn.

My new tank arrived today, it's just a beginner one, the Allpondssolutions 29 litre nano tank. Its mainly for my grandson who's autistic and loves looking at fish tanks.

My first question is, he wants bubbles. I've looked at air stones and bubble toys but not sure of exactly what I need. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Also, I've ordered a 5kg bag of gravel but will that be enough?

Thank you :)

Generally speaking, it's recommended about 1 lb per gallon (US) for substrate. So your gravel should be plenty. Air pumps/ stones are for helping the gas exchange at the surface. O2 in, CO2 out. The pump and stone don't actually oxygenate the water, the only help break the surface tension so the exchange happens easier.
So, to answer that part of your question, get whichever stone/ bar/ wand/ disk is pleasing to watch for your grand son and your self, and it'll work great.

Back
Top Bottom