Air pump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
1 - What's the quietest (good quality) air pump with the least vibration.

2 - can someone point me in the direction of a good check valve? I have tried several different ones brass, plastic etc. and they all seem to reduce the amount of air flow very significantly more than i'd like to see.

thanks

jim

jim532 said:
1 - What's the quietest (good quality) air pump with the least vibration.

2 - can someone point me in the direction of a good check valve? I have tried several different ones brass, plastic etc. and they all seem to reduce the amount of air flow very significantly more than i'd like to see.

thanks

jim

Jim, I have been very happy with the Rena line of pumps. Very quiet and powerful. I unfortunately do not have a valve recommendation.

i have had bad luck with check valves, and have opted not to use them and have suffered the consequence of water being places i don't want.
I have a 75 gall tank and i need a pump that is more than suffciant for it, but I don't want to hear it either.

If you can't find a check valve you like, but are worried to not have one, then a quick fix would be to make sure your pump is higher than your tank. If you have any way of doing that, then a check valve wouldn't be necesarry since gravity would prevent it from siphoning.

As far as not hearing an air pump at all, I have never found one that was silent and that's what it seems like you want. You may want to look into putting a silencer on your pump as for the most part it's the noise inside of the tubing itself that causes the noise. I have found DIY instructions to make one on a member's website, but I can't remember who. But I remember it was a guy who said he bought his house specifically because the laundry room wouldn't finish and he would be able to complete his custom setup which included switch controlled PWC's. Hopefully he will see this post, or someone will know who I'm taking about and can post his site.

I know the very basic instructions involved just running your air tube through an old water bottle that had a hole drilled in the top and bottom and was stuffed with cotton. But his site had more details and pictures.

-brent

Back
Top Bottom