Air Pumps: Rena vs. x brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiz561

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I recently purchased a Rena air pump from petsmart and I am not really happy with it! To my surprise, it seems rather loud for an air pump. I had a whisper many years ago and I remember it not being loud at all. After I plugged the Rena in, it seems like I can hear it in the next room buzzing away! The model I got is the 200 (I believe). It's for tanks that average 30 gallons.

However, I'm a little leary about this pump because they had 3 boxes at petsmart for this model. The first two were empty so I took the last one. I'm wondering if maybe somebody returned it for whatever reason and now I got stuck with it. Everything I read (including the box) says that it is next to silent! Does anybody have any experience with these pumps? Should I exchange it and purchase a pump that is 20 to 30 dollars cheaper!?!

Thanks in advance!
[/i]

No experience with that pump, but have you tried placing it on, or wrapping it in, a towel to dampen the sound, or have you checked to see if one of the parts is loose?

I have 2 airpumps for my 55 gal (for air stones, one didn't cut it). They are some brand I can't remember but they're really quiet. I have them hanging on the wall by thumbtacks and wrapped with towels. The towels are to save my walls from black rubber marks.

Back
Top Bottom