Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Air stone causing issues?

Hey everyone. New here and new aquarium owner. I bought a 20gl a few week back and since have added fishes. Freshwater, I currently have 6 pepper corydoras, 10 harlequin rasboras and a trio of platy. I use an aquaclear 70 with foam, bio carb and 2 bio max bag. I got gravel at the bottom and no live plants atm.

Today I did my water change and I decided to add an air stone to my setup. So I bought a marina 75 pump, 10 feet tube, check valve and a 25cm extendable air stone. So after I removed my required water during the water change I added the air stone at the back of the aquarium, right under the filter. Plugged everything, did a quick try it and everything seemed fine.

So I replineshed my water, primed my filter and turned everything on. I waited for the filter to start fully and added my treatments and turned the pump on. From there the filter started to make some noise, I can see bubbles going through the intake and my fish seems to hide now in a corner.

Should I move the air stone? Remove it? Bought one that was too big? Can this cause damage to by filter?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fist of all, an air stone should not be placed directly under a filter as you found out..

Also, yes, the air stone is too big..
IMO an air stone for a 20 gal tank only needs to be 1-2 inches in length.
Many people over kill the air stone length.for smaller tanks
You just need something to cause some surface agitation and this is what actually adds oxygen to a tank

An air stone also helps circulate the water which is also very important .

Granted, an air stone add some interests to a tank but this is a side benefit..
Old 01-30-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will downgrade the air stone size, should I also downgrade the pump?

Good thing an air stone doesn't cost a fortune!
Old 01-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your pump should be fine..
However, i know little about them.

If you eventually want something better......
I have one of these (a 10 gal model) and they are fantastic.... very well made and super quiet.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...llon-aquariums
https://www.tetra-fish.com/products/...-air-pump.aspx

One thing you do need is an in line aquarium air adjustment valve to adjust the air flow to your stone to your liking.
Something cheap such as this... You could probably buy one locally...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18520922383...UAAOSwjmFak77b
Old 01-31-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You just solved my problem with the pump. I didn't like the fact that the flow wasn't adjustable. You, my friend, are a godsend!
Old 01-31-2022, 09:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

On more thing you can do is get a "T" or a "Y" fitting

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35379342571...MAAOSwUERctcw-

You can then split the air line outlet into two (for two small air stones) , that you can then adjust each one individually with the valves.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Airstones help with water circulation, small bubbles create a softer current in the water.
Joe_D’s advise was on point.
Hope your tank is doing well ��
Old 02-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

We'll get there, eventually. I'm dealing with some ammonia spike but I'll get it under control. The journey of a new guy in the hobby.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will be the first to tell you that your tank is not cycled and that is why you now have an ammonia issue that can kill your fish..

A tank must be cycled. Since you already have fish in it. you will be doing what is called a "fish in": cycle..
Read this thread on cycling a tank.....
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ed-378710.html

I would recommend at this point, that you now get a (3.38 oz) bottle of "Tetra Safe Start Plus" and dump the whole bottle in your tank (as directed) . This will speed up the cycle and help protect your fish..
https://www.tetra-fish.com/products/...s-8-45-oz.aspx.

Tags
air, air stone, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com