All filters keep stopping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMoof

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I'm brand new here and kinda new to the hobby and have a filter question!

I had to buy a new filter because my 20 gallon Aqueon filter gave up the ghost, and it would often stop and I would have to move the propeller to get it started again.

I replaced it with the same kind of filter, which within the hour stopped working and required that I move the propeller again. It kept getting harder and harder to get it to restart and frustrated, I got a different brand of filter - a top fin 20 gallon filter.

Now it's doing the same thing! I have to take the pump out and put it back in to start it again, and it does this around every two hours.

Am I doing something wrong? What is going on? Thank you for reading!

Hello Moof...

Honestly, motorized, mechanical filters are a waste of money and don't do much to keep the water clean. I suggest investing in a dual sponge filter. It works as well as anything and other than requiring a small air pump to run the sponge, you won't have any other expenses. You just need to remove and replace half the tank water every few days.

B

Hello all! I'm brand new here and kinda new to the hobby and have a filter question!

I had to buy a new filter because my 20 gallon Aqueon filter gave up the ghost, and it would often stop and I would have to move the propeller to get it started again.

I replaced it with the same kind of filter, which within the hour stopped working and required that I move the propeller again. It kept getting harder and harder to get it to restart and frustrated, I got a different brand of filter - a top fin 20 gallon filter.

Now it's doing the same thing! I have to take the pump out and put it back in to start it again, and it does this around every two hours.

Am I doing something wrong? What is going on? Thank you for reading!
Hello, is something else getting into filter besides food & muck? I've had filters stop due to bits of leaves, hair, floss from filter pad & sand. Impeller can be pulled, checked & cleaned. Maybe even try a prefilter sponge that goes over intake. Hope this helps!!!!!

As above.

Mostly these are designed (or hopefully so) to be really reliable and a real shame to have them doing that.

Only add was is your tank water level up decently high. My father always thought pumps will push water a long way but have trouble pulling water up.

And a real stretch but I’m assuming no power fluctuations / issues.

I see what you mean! I finally got the filter to work but it stops periodically still. I think I'm going to invest in a sponge filter. Would that work okay for a goldfish?

I WOULDN'T *think* so as Goldfish are VERY heavy waste producers from what wverybody says

Back
Top Bottom