All pond solutions external filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im getting everything together to get my new tank started... Got heater , getting sand soon , but want a external filter instead of an internal one , there quite expensive and im on a budget, has anyone used all pond solutions external filters? There priced quite reasonable but never really heard of them , i just stumbled across it when floating around ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it a canister filter? One thing to check might be flow rates, just in case it it greater.

Yeah its a canister filter , are they a problem ? Ill be getting the 1000 ef witch it says is suitable for my tank volume

Can't imagine anything as an issue. Do you have a link at all? I couldn't find much. My canister filters were cheaper aqua-ones and run fine. The only thing I would really like is self-priming.

Can't imagine anything as an issue. Do you have a link at all? I couldn't find much. My canister filters were cheaper aqua-ones and run fine. The only thing I would really like is self-priming.

Heres a link ... http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171245083233?nav=SEARCH only ever had internal filters so not too clued up on these , whats self priming ?

Heres a link ... http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171245083233?nav=SEARCH only ever had internal filters so not too clued up on these , whats self priming ?

Thanks - checking out. I know eheim's are self priming. Not sure on others.

Self priming means it will fill itself with water and start filtering without any more work from the user (once you start the process). It might be a lever on the canister side to pump water into the filter or something more automatic. You only need to prime after cleaning or first use, otherwise canisters can be switched off for say feeding and back on again without priming needed.

Mine I have to pour water into the canister filter through a little priming inlet or through the intake hose to prime manually (basically fill filter with water) and then I switch on the filter.

As the canisters sit inside a cupboard this is a darn, fiddly nuisance. A canister filter next to a tank would be easy to access and not such a problem.

The canisters I have are quieter than an air pump. They are really just a larger filter.

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/external-filters/professionel

It looks fine. Drip free shut off valves are a must for detaching for cleaning. Also I like the separate baskets and you can mix and match filter media to suit. It looks self priming as well in the description.

Instructions are usually pretty simple, there's not many moving parts so once you pull one canister apart a few times it gets pretty easy.

It looks fine. Drip free shut off valves are a must for detaching for cleaning. Also I like the separate baskets and you can mix and match filter media to suit. It looks self priming as well in the description.

Instructions are usually pretty simple, there's not many moving parts so once you pull one canister apart a few times it gets pretty easy.

Sounds good , reasonable price or should i spend abit more on a named brand?

Sounds good , reasonable price or should i spend abit more on a named brand?

Looks reasonable. I can't really comment as I'm in Australia and our pricing is different. My impression has been that if I won lotto I'd get an expensive one with all the bells and whistles which will probably filter a little better but many people seem happy with the cheaper brands.

The only thing I don't like (stand on soap box), is when they come with a uv unit as usually canisters are high flow rates whereas uv units need a slow flow rate to give the water maximum residence time against the uv bulb and kill off any algae/nasties.

Back
Top Bottom