All this talk about the 'sump'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
any tubing will work but I am unsure of the flow rate of different sizes of the tubes..
In normal applications.. 1" inner diameter gives you 600gph maximum flow rate.. conservative estimate...

the pvc is designed a little different.. there isnt a loop.. there is a flexible tube going to a pvc pipe and there is a T in the pipe at the water level in the pipe that has a fitting on it that you can plumb the hose going down and out of the pvc pipe.. same theory as the loop just a different design..

an overflow is an overflow.. even if people are using it for a auto water changer.. you would just need one that is big enough for the gph you want..

DRAIN2.jpg

do you mean that? i get the outside part but is the inside part kind of just a pvc with a drilled cap?

The T-pipe PVC pics look like Durso standpipe, which is a nice design because its so quiet. My tank is drilled, and surface skimmer design was much too loud - I always heard the sound of water getting sucked out. This makes me wonder if the self levelling siphon would be loud. (Durso standpipe has a small hole at the top of the T, so only a little air escapes, and is very quiet.) Here's the thread that was quoted from the krib - http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/overflow-skimmer.html

Andros, following rule of thumb stated earlier, figure 15-20g minimum for your 50g. How simple are you looking for? Baffle design is sweet because your controlling water flow allows for a very sophiticated filter. Wet/dry design doesn't need baffles and is very easy to build, if you want wet/dry (you wouldn't if you're injecting CO2 into your tank). A sump can just be a reservoir of water and nothing else if you want it to be.

Nevermind about standpipe being T-design. Picture from krap101's most recent post won't keep siphon if return pump loses power. It appears it has to be started somehow. Here's Durso standpipe: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

he said he takes the end cap off the top and adds water. that starts the siphon

ill probally do the other one then. lol this one seems to complicated.

since the tube is siphoning water out what stops water from comingout of the hole?

Oh and getting a durso out of the tank.. ie without having a hole to plumb into is complicated.... Ive looked into it... not that its impossible it would be a challange though..

Krap - the water level in the tank will never be higher than the water level of the hole.

You could add the Durso to the back end of your overflow box if you went that route. This keeps it quiet. If you do self levelling siphon green, please post how noise is. Its very clever.

I would do this if I was going to do a emergeny overflow.. ie. just in case a water change gets out of hand..LOL.
or a automated waterchange system..
I would do a sump if I was going for a fish only tank though.. you know the wet/dry CO2 problem.. Ill probably be injecting CO2 in the big tank.. I know I could add water to the system and hide some heaters and such but its a little too much work for the added benefit..

well.. my tanks wont be that densely planted.

what do you mean by an emergency overflow?

An emergency overflow would go to a drain.. in my case the drain to the washing machine is on the other side of the wall.. I would put a overflow that would drain the water off to the drain incase the water level gets close to overflowing the tank..
I dont know if this is a normal idea but I overthink things sometimes..LOL
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom