alternative to aqualifter pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an external CPR overflow that uses an aqualifter pump. My first pump lasted a good little while, but lately I've gone through three or four of them in the last 6 or 8 weeks. I just put a new one on today and it already appears to be not working. Is there an alternative to this pump?

I'm sure they're getting clogged up but I've taken them apart and can't figure out how the heck to flush it. I always try to keep an extra few on hand because they seem to go out so often lately.

They're not that expensive but if I could find a better brand that lasted longer and didn't clog as bad, it would be worth it to pay more!

Any advice would be appreciated

and you use this externally? I thought all max-jet pumps had to be submersed. Wow, that will save me if it works.....I was considering going to a u-tube type overflow.

Put the MJ in your sump and run some airline to it from the overflow. I have mine in with the overflow tube, before the bubble traps in my sump.

I have trouble with the aqualifter pumps also. (( Do you get a flood on the floor when yours fails?)) I am sick of that! It's happened three times to me so I flush the lifter pumps by running vinegar water through them for a couple of minutes every week. I also put clean air hose on if the hose doesn't look good after cleaning.

I also have the CPR box set at a slight angle (vent nipple higher than the other side) so that more air is pulled more easily). I don't know if that helps keep it clean but I haven't had any problems since I did this and started the cleaning routine.

Still, after three floods, I want to go to the ph system but didn't know how to hook it up until reading Mike's post. (thanks Mike!)

thanks....I'll order the venture tomorrow and let you know how it works. So submerse the mj 1200 in the sump, correct?

Right. It's going to spit out a bunch of micro-bubbles occasionally, so place it as far as you can from the return pump, preferably in the intake chamber. Don't forget you'll need a few feet of airline.

Wow....I got my venturi adapter and new Max-jet 1200 in yesterday and hooked it up as instructed. All I can say is thank you MT! My overflow worries are over.

Back
Top Bottom