Alternative to Carbon as a Filter Media ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently, as in last Saturday, I set up a Fluval 306 Canister filter which comes with carbon in one of the trays. What do you use in place of the carbon? My understanding is that carbon really isn't necessary & is removing nutrients my plants need from the ferts I add. Does it matter what I put in that tray?

Put anything you want! As long as you already have a tray of ceramic rings, and some mechanical filtration you are set. If you dont already have it, i suggest some water polishing media like pillow stuffing.

Thank you. It has 3 trays one of which has the ceramic rings & the other sponge. I have a different type of sponge I was thinking of using but wasn't sure if it would restrict it too much. I guess I'll test it out, its night as tightly made so I think it'll be OK.

You could use seachem purigen. Its really great stuff lasts up to 6 months and is rechargeable. I just put a bag in the hob on my planted tank to remove tannis. It was clear in two days and doesn't remove the fertz I put in the tank for plants.

Back
Top Bottom